Tuesday, October 12, 2010

cancer sucks.

Print

Cancer Sucks.
I don't even have to state that out loud - every knows it. Since my dad passed away, I have devoted my life to fighting this awful disease. I am passionate about fighting cancer.

I Choose Me.
Last May, the American Cancer Society rolled out the new "Choose You" campaign - an initiative created to encourage women to schedule more "me time" into their hectic lifestyle. Well, I chose me a few years ago when I rediscovered my other passion for running. However, in just the past year I have really focused my energy on becoming a better runner, as well as creating a healthier lifestyle for Nic and myself.

Nic and Kier - Minneapolis Bike Tou

Two Passions One Mission.
The American Cancer Society's DetermiNation program combines the two very things that I am so passionate about. I am addicted to running. I hate cancer. Why not raise a little awareness and money for the American Cancer Society while running a race that I was planning on running anyway? Enter - the 2010 IMT Des Moines Half Marathon. On Sunday, October 17th I will be completing my fourth half marathon if this summer and will be running as an official American Cancer Society DetermiNation athlete. My goal is to raise $1,000.

I will be running in memory of my dad and my 2nd Mom who just passed away after a short battle with cancer on Saturday, October 2nd.

A sign!  I had a sign!!  Didn't even see it during the race.Race stats:1:45:238:00 minute mile pace539/5366 total runners46/646 age group123/3242 females

Create A World With More Birthdays.
The American Cancer Society is all about creating a world with less cancer and more birthdays. On October 4th, 2009, Ike, Maddie and I completed the Twin Cities Marathon, our first marathon. My dad would have been celebrating his 55th birthday that same day if it hadn't been for that stupid cancer.  To say he would have been proud of the three of us would be a total understatement. In hindsight, that would have been the perfect day to be running as a DetermiNation athlete for the American Cancer Society - running my first marathon in memory of Dad on his birthday.

TCM

You can help create a world with more birthdays by supporting me as I run the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon. You can visit my personal fundraising website here to make an online donation.  I very much appreciate your support.

Saving Lives Every Day.
Thanks to people like you the American Cancer Society is saving lives every day. For nearly a century, they have fought for every birthday threatened by every cancer in every community. Together with the American Cancer Society, we CAN save lives.

Print

It's Not Over Until It's Over!
The IMT Des Moines Half Marathon is only one stop on my running journey! On November 21st I will be heading south to run the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, Oklahoma! I have been training for this day since July 19th and am looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish. Ultimately, I would love to do well enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

...and then I hope to become an American Cancer Society DestiNation running - but more on that later! :)

Thanks again for your support. You truly are helping to create a world with more birthdays.

Kier

Kier and Dad
Me and Dad - a few weeks before he passed away.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the passion that you put into this mission Kier. Very inspirational :)

    ReplyDelete