Thursday, December 9, 2010

research, plan, prepare

Whoa! Said like Joey on the TV show Blossom...


Thank you everyone for your thoughts on the Fargo Marathon!  Most of you had me pegged probably before I even posed the question, and of course Mom said it best:

Mom's always right

So I've done my research and have made up my mind: I will be registering for the Fargo Marathon. Whew - that is a huge weight off my mind!

One of the huge factors that was holding me back was the fact that I would have to train for this marathon through the winter, and although Iowa doesn't get the snow that Minnesota does, it gets dang cold here! And not to mention the monthly ice storms we can except.

I actually had a huge "well duh!" moment the other day as I was agonizing about winter marathon training - I was a cross-country skier all 4 years of high school - clearly I survived spending hours and hours in the frigid temps each and every day, and loved every moment of it!  Winter weather - you don't scare me!

So now that I am planning on training for Fargo over the winter, I need to make sure I am prepared for the cold temps.  A quick inventory of my closet (and Nic's for that matter) and I was able to scrap together enough pieces for 1.5 quality winter running outfits.  Nic and I spent at least a week discussing whether or not I needed to get a few more pieces. Yes, I could survive with just those pieces all winter, however a few pieces were a few sizes to big, but worked, and if I wore the outfits on every run, I'd be pretty stinky by the end of the week!

So after making some creative changes to our budget (a $150 holiday bonus for each of us!), I ordered the following items from REI -

Sporthill Top
SportHill Quest Top - wind protection up fo 35mph, wicks away moisture and cute! (on sale too!)

Salomon Running Tights
My splurge - Solomon Momentum WARM Tights (not on sale!). You had me at "soft, fleecy interior!"

Smartwool Socks
SmartWool PhD Snowboard socks - I hate cold feet! And pretty sure I got some pretty bad frost bite when I was a Nordic skier, so my feet get cold/go numb right away. (These were on sale too!)

(all photos from here)

A splurge, yes. Necessary, sort of. But now I will have no excuses not to get out for my training runs. (Unless of course we get an ice storm, than I might have to supplement my workout gear with a pair of Yak Tracks.)

Now I just have to come up with a training plan.  A few things I learned from my Route 66 training:

  • I am pretty sure I over trained just a bit. I followed HH's Advance Schedule I. I only missed a handful of the runs, and had very few bad runs - but that is all I did. Run, run, run, run....
  • Because I was always running, I sorely neglected all forms of cross training, included weight lifting.
  • I set my goals way to high. No matter how awesome I think I am, shaving over 1 hour off my best time is just a bit unrealistic no matter how much weight I've lost, strength I've gained or endurance I've ....(endured? realized? gained?)

So my training schedule for Fargo must include:

  • 5 days of running (instead of 6)
  • At least two days of weights (I just started NROLFW)
  • One day of cross training 
  • Yoga, pilates,  or some form of stretching

    Suggestions?  Help me (please!) come up with a comprehensive marathon training schedule. And while we're at it, answer me this - they say that your training runs are supposed to be 60-90 seconds slower than your marathon pace, but for me this pace is painfully slow! So when training, do I just train as hard as I am able (on the days that I am supposed to be pushing myself)? Or do I slow myself down - but I really don't see the sense in doing that...


    I am really looking forward to training for Fargo and running it. I know while I am up in the Great North, I will have wonderful fan support, will be able to conquer the ONE hill (aka an on ramp!) and realize my goals.

    Mapping out their official Kier Cheer Zones!
    At last year's Fargo Half Marathon - Josh, Nic and Laura planning out their cheer zones.

    Coach Timm would be soooo uber proud of us!
    My training buddy (kind of), Anna - a fellow cross-county running captain. (PS - I have to go back to Fargo to get my...I mean Nic's shirt back!!)

    A sign!  I had a sign!!  Didn't even see it during the race.Race stats:1:45:238:00 minute mile pace539/5366 total runners46/646 age group123/3242 females
    My number one fan.


    My life-long friend (since 1st grade!) Laura. Laura - did you know your sign is hanging in my office?!

    IMG_8013
    Some creepy guy who kept taking photos of us! I joke I joke. This is Josh. Laura's husband. Josh and Nic are already planning out their weekend. They totally ditched Laura and I last year...tear.

    And one more thing...

    Maddie

    Maddie - hopefully we can be done after my Fargo and your Stockholm Marathons! But let's just be clear, if you totally crush my Fargo time in Stockholm, I will be signing up for TCM 2011!!

    Fargo Marathon or Bust!

    2 comments:

    1. Wow, now you've got me wondering where all my old Princeton CC meet shirts went! I had an awesome black one with silver print :)

      So cool you decided to do the full! I know I need to decide soon if I am going to be crazy enough to do two 1/2's (Earth Day and Fargo)in a month or not.

      I also became a cold weather wimp in my old age. I ran all winter growing up with very minimal and definitely not technical running gear.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yay! Excited for you! You will do awesome! :)

      ReplyDelete