Friday, April 15, 2011

Honey Flax Oatmeal Thin Buns

The instant I saw this post the other day, I knew I would be serving up grilled portobellos as soon as I could get my hands on a few of the beautiful, grill-worthy 'shrooms.

I also knew that I wanted to whip up some homemade buns to serve them on. As always, I looked to a few recipes for inspiration, but did my own thing when I couldn't find one that I was happy with.

And then a few short hours later...these lovely beauties were pulled out of my oven.

IMG_6542

Honey Flax Oatmeal Thin Buns


In the mix::

  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 T coconut oil
  • 1 T honey (substitute with molasses for a vegan roll)
  • 1 T molasses
  • 2 1/4 t yeast
  • 2 T ground flax
  • 5 T water
  • 1 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats - ground in the food processor
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups + 1 T bread flour
  • Oatmeal (not ground), sunflower seeds, flax seeds

In a small sauce pan, slightly heat (to about 110*) the almond milk, water, coconut oil, honey and molasses. Stir to combine. Add to the bowl of a stand mixer and stir in yeast. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, or until bubbly.

In a small bowl create a flax "egg" by mixing ground flax and five tablespoons of water - set aside.

To the bowl of the stand mixer, add the salt, oats and whole wheat flour. With the paddle attachment attached, mix on high for 2 minutes.

With mixer on low, add 1 cup of the bread flour, and beat again on medium-high for two minutes. Switch to dough hook and slowly combine the remaining flour. Knead for 10 minutes on medium speed until smooth and elastic. Dough should clear the sides of the bowl, but be just sticking to the bottom.

Remove dough to a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double in size. Punch down. Separate dough into 10 discs an lay on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Brush the tops with oil or water and sprinkle with oats, sunflower seeds and flax seed. Press lightly into the dough. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.

Bake at 350* for 18 minutes.

IMG_6544

Seriously - I think these were the best rolls/thin buns/bread that I have ever created in the kitchen!

IMG_6546

We have been savoring these all week, only to be eaten when paired with absolutely delicious food.  We will be devouring the last two tonight with lentil sloppy joes. YUMO.

Let's not forget about the portobello burgers though! These were absolutely delicious, quick and satisfying! I might have to carry around big protobellos when we go to grill outs at friends. I'll just throw one of these on the grill and everyone will be jealous of my juicy veggie burger!

IMG_6550

Check out the original post for a better recipe. I just brushed the 'shroom with a bit of balsamic and grilled it until it started releasing its natural juices.  I served them up with triscuit coated onion rings (absolutely amazing, but a huge kitchen failure in the process department!), tomato paste (obsessed!) and stone ground mustard.

IMG_6547

I side of flax crusted sweet potato fries rounded out this amazing Sunday night dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Anytime you want to come to MD to cook for me, you are more than welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these look so good!Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. So glad that I found your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I love finding your Iowa based blog! I live in the Des Moines area! :) I'm thinking about doing the Half in October. Are you doing it this year? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stephanie Glad you found my blog Stephanie! And yes! I am running the Des Moines Half this year - so excited...I love that race!

    @Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking Happy you stumbled across my blog too! I need to check out yours!

    @Kara Anytime! Next time we make it to your area, I will cook you up a feast! :)

    ReplyDelete