Monday, April 18, 2011

roasted chickpea tacos with cumin spiced coleslaw

Happy Monday!  Where has the day gone?! I can't believe it is already after noon - I have so much to do and so little time!

First up (besides work of course!) Nic and I are heading up to Iowa City to exchange my new Trek 2.2 for an entry level road bike!  We went out to a local bike race last week and were instantly intrigued and wanted to jump in with the crowd - but would have stuck out like sore thumbs with our fitness bikes and lack of a heavily sponsored spandex outfits! :) Thankfully, I am still within the 30 day satisfaction guaranteed window and can exchange straight up.

Don't worry - I will not be giving up my running shoes for those weird biking ones.  Running will always be my true love.

I have a late meeting tonight for work, so will be heading there after picking up my new bike. Including my three hours of work at the YMCA this morning, I will be pulling a 15+ hour day!

This weekend was quite relaxing. My highlights included lots of lounging around, a pain free 16 mile run (happy dance!!), and lots of yummy food including these light and fresh roasted chickpea tacos with a cumin spiced coleslaw. Yummm.

Roasted Chickpea Tacos with Cumin Spiced Coleslaw

IMG_6613

In the mix::

  • Roasted chickpeas Mama Pea style
  • Corn tortillas
  • Spinach
  • Green peppers - sliced
  • Tomatoes - sliced
  • 3 cups red cabbage - shredded
  • 1/2 cup red onion - sliced thinly
  • 2.5 T lime juice
  • 1 T white wine vinegar
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 t cumin
  • salt & pepper to taste

Roast your chickpeas and prepare your toppings.

To make the coleslaw, combine cabbage and onion in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, vinegar, oil, cumin, salt and pepper.  Toss some of the dressing (as little or much as you'd like - I used about 3/4 of it) with the cabbage.  Eat right away, or let set in fridge to let the flavors marinate.

Prepare your tacos and top with hot sauce. Enjoy!

IMG_6602

These were so awesome and really quick to prepare! The chickpeas take about 30-40 minutes to roast (and a day to marinate if you want), but everything else comes together in a jiffy.

IMG_6606

The roasted chickpeas make a great snack on their own, and are also awesome tossed into a hugeass salad!  The coleslaw tastes even better the next day.  My lunch today is said hugeass salad with spinach + coleslaw + chickpeas + tomatoes.

IMG_6611

Our Hy-Vee had star fruit on sale the other day so I picked one up.  I am sure I've eaten it before, but wanted to give it try (it was an impulse buy....funny how my impulse buys come from the produce section and not the candy isle now!).

5 comments:

  1. I love starfruit! That kind of stuff NEVER goes on sale around here :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does star fruit taste like? I do most of my impulse shopping from the produce area these days too! Jicama anyone? Don't mind if I do! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had starfruit...at the very least they look cool!

    One of my impulse purchases at the grocery store the other day was chickpeas - I've never ever had them in my house before and until just now I had no idea what to do with them! This is getting added to next weeks meal list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often get impulses for new fruit, like cherimoya. It's so much fun to try something different.

    Have fun picking out your bike! I have a cyclocross bike (though I don't race) and I love the drop bars and race geometry. Someday I'll have a road bike, but for now this one fits all my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tacos look amazing.

    I have been MIA lately...I'm really excited for you that you are running again!

    ReplyDelete