Tuesday, August 23, 2011

frozen chocolate mousse

We were invited over to our friends house for a BBQ on Friday night. We were told to bring something to grill and a dish to share. I scoured to "Food to Eat" board on Pinterest and this raw brownie recipe jumped out at me as something easy and quick to prepare.

Unfortunately due to a few liberties I took with the recipe, the dish was not ready by the time we were to head over for the BBQ.

What a blessing in disguise! While I am sure my friends would have loved this dish (no matter how much they would have mocked me for making another dessert from dates + nuts), I absolutely love the dish and am happy to keep it all to myself. I guess I have shared a few bites with Nic...

Frozen Chocolate Mousse with a Raw Brownie Crust
Whipping the frozen bananas in the food processor creates a delicately light "mousse" that is best served right out of the freezer. While this dish is good enough to serve to your friends, take a cue from me and hide it in the deepest corner of your freezer and save it all for yourself!

IMG_9009

In the mix::
For the raw brownie base - 

  • 1 cup pitted dates
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • pinch salt


For the chocolate mousse - 


  • 2 chopped bananas, frozen
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup cocoa powder (to taste)
  • 4 T cashew/peanut butter (or other nut butter)
  • 4 T honey (use maple syrup for a vegan dish)
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • pinch salt


To prepare the brownie base::
In a food processor, add all brownie ingredients and process until finely chopped and will hold together when you form a small bit of the dough into a ball. Press firmly into an 8" x 8" pan. Set aside.

To prepare the chocolate mousse::
In a food processor (it is not necessary to clean the bowl, just make sure all big crumbs have been scrapped out), add the frozen bananas and process until smooth and creamy. Add cocoa powder, cashew-peanut butter, honey, vanilla and salt. Process until mixed. Spread mousse onto brownie crust, cover and place in freezer until firm.

IMG_9005

These are best serve right from the freezer - the mousse will be firm but not frozen. Delicious topped with a strawberry!

IMG_9014

The raw brownie crust was a great base for the mousse. Chocolaty with just a hint of saltiness and chew.  As I type this I am already thinking of the next version of this dish - raw chocolate chip cookie dough with frozen peanut butter mousse - heck yes.

Who am I kidding, if you let these sit at room temperature for just a few minutes, the frozen mousse turns into a chocolate pudding and is equally delicious!

IMG_9015

Having a Labor Day BBQ? You could be nice and make a pan of these to share with your friends. I know I will.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, YUM. I've been in love with the combo of frozen bananas, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, more vanilla, and cocoa powder, all processed together. But this? This looks decadent. In a very good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you are planning on preparing these for us in a couple of weekends!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, that looks amazingly delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete