Friday, June 1, 2012

stockholm marathon eve

Interrupting my kind of regular scheduled trip recaps to bring you some photos from our Stockholm Marathon eve.

Let me tell you this, if you ever want to keep your mind off running a marathon, I highly suggest going on a 5 day road trip/vacation prior to the race. Honestly, running this marathon has been the last thing on my mind for the past week, and really didn't hit me until today when we went to go pick up our packets that the marathon is tomorrow.

This is going to be a fun race.

And I say that will all the sarcasm in the world. The high is supposed to be 48 degrees with 22 mph winds. On a positive note, the race doesn't start until Noon, so there will be no waking up before the sun (which would be hard to do anyway since the sunrise is at 3:22AM!).

IMG_5752

Today was a good foreshadowing of what's to come - rain, cold, wind. But our family braved the conditions and made the trek to the expo to get our packets.

IMG_5753

IMG_5757

Maddie is pumped to run her second full marathon.

IMG_5758

And I am just happy to be in Stockholm.

IMG_5762

I've never been to a race pasta party before, but decided to grab a free plate to share with the family. Despite not being vegan, I had a few bites and it was delicious! Pasta + sun dried tomatoes + olives + spinach. YUM.

IMG_5769

IMG_5772

After the expo, we hopped on the metro and went to Intersport (like Scheels) to get some running gear for me (race capris) and some warm fleece jackets (for Mom, Roger & Maddie).

Lesson learned:: when traveling a distance for a race, plan for any and every weather condition. I am so ill prepared for this race.

Race rule that will be broken:: never wear anything new on race day.

And our pre-race dinner (a diversion from the typical chickpea tacos...)::

IMG_5775

Veggie curry with white rice.

Dessert:: marie crackers with peanut butter and a piece of dark chocolate on top. Like a Reese' Peanut Butter Cup.

So - here's to marathon #6 and international marathon #1.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck and have a blast!
    Are you planning on running with Maddie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how exciting! I didn't realize you were there to run a marathon. I'm eagerly taking notes for when I do Brussles in the fall.

    Good luck! Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete