Monday, August 13, 2012

chocolate chip cookies {vegan}

IMG_7835

I've been on a long quest to create a really delicious vegan chocolate chip cookie.

I thought I wanted to try to make a healthier cookie, but ultimately decided to go the other direction.

The result is everything I hoped for.

Thanks to my many taste testers whom I am sure grew tired of me knocking on their doors or stopping by their offices with cookies in tow.

Now that I have a recipe I am happy with, these surprise visits might grow less frequent.

Or not - because I am on to my next quest, wherever that may lead.

IMG_7848

Chocolate Chip Cookies

You'll need::

  • 1/2 cup unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons warm water)
  • 2 cups toasted walnuts* 
  • 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
  • 2 cups quinoa flakes
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips

To make::

Preheat oven to 325*

Make your flax egg and set aside.

Add the oatmeal to a food processor and process until fine (you are essentially making oat flour). Add in the toasted walnuts, quinoa flakes, whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, and salt. Pulse 10 times. Empty into a large bowl.

In the bowl of the food processor (no need to clean), add the coconut oil, syrup, brown sugar and vanilla. Process until combined. Add the flax egg and pulse until thoroughly combined.

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Add chocolate chips and mix well.

Line a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper.

Roll cookie dough into balls, slightly flatten and place on cookie sheet. I found that having slightly wet hands prevented the cookie dough from sticking too much.

Bake at 325* for 10-12 minutes, or until beginning to brown.

Invite your friends over, eat and enjoy.

*I've have used hazelnuts in place on walnuts with FANTASTICLY DELICIOUS results as well. I am itching to try peanuts and subbing out the chocolate chips for raisins.

No comments:

Post a Comment