Friday, September 14, 2012

women rock half marathon:: race result

I ran the Women Rock half marathon the Saturday before Labor Day.

I kept it pretty quiet, and didn't even know what race I would be running until the Thursday before.

You see, I registered for this race for the sole purpose of running my best marathon yet and qualifying for the 2013 Boston Marathon.

But then Stockholm happened, and I kind of needed a break from running.

Apparently a four month break from running.

I am not saying I didn't run for four months, but seriously, if I logged 100 miles between the Stockholm marathon and the Women Rock half marathon, I'd be surprised.

If I drank 100 beers and sampled 100 chocolate chip cookies between the two races, I'd guess that was on low end.

My love handles can attest to that.

Anyway.

Thursday before the race, I decided it would be wise to drop to the half marathon, paying $15 to change races, thus making this race the most expensive half marathon on Earth. If I remember correctly, I paid $150 originally + $15 = $165 for a half marathon, or $12.60 per mile.

I contemplated dropping to the 10K, but really - paying $165 to run 6.2 miles? I would have rather stayed home and slept in.

I had few expectations for the race because of the lack of training, and keeping in mind that Nic and I drove up from Iowa the night before, not getting to Minnesota until early early Saturday morning, and getting less than 5 hours of sleep.

The morning of the race, I told Nic not to expect me at the finish line until the 2 hour mark, but it would be more likely the 2 hour 10 minute mark.

Suffice it to say, I was pleasantly surprised with my race.

I ran without a watch, and just judged my pace on how I felt.

Comfortable, but not too comfortable.

I got nervous around mile 7 when my right hip starting screaming at me - but I cranked up my iPod, listened to Fun. and drowned it out.

Around mile 10 I had a rock in my show that pulled me over to the side of the road.

.07 miles later, I discovered that the rock was actually in my sock, sidelining me again for a good 90 seconds to remove my shoe yet again.

Mile 12 came and I decided to push it in the last mile, with a goal to pass 10 people.

I passed my 11th and 12th person at the finish line with an official time of 1:50:45.

That was my fourth fastest half to date. 

Without training.

Maybe a four month taper is the way to go?!

Women Rock 1

Women Rock 2

Other fun facts:
-I was the fourth fastest Iowan
-If I could have tied my fastest time (1:43:26), I would have ranked 3rd in my age group, 45th overall, and the fastest Iowan
-Dare I say, half marathons trump marathons???

It was a fun race. A beautiful morning. And I would do the half again. Not sure I would do the full as the course loops back on itself quite a bit.

Women Rock 3
Conflicted...


Women Rock 4
Iowa wins!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome job, congrats! I have to say, I think Minnesota wins, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole!

      Maybe I should have said, "Iowa wins...for now!"???

      Delete
  2. YES! Awesome job! A long taper DOES work ;)

    I thought about this race! The bling and firefighters (right?) on course were appealing. And the necklace you got is cute :) But it was on my anni so I didn't. LOL.

    I think halfs are way better for running fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the fire fighters were not that pretty to look at, but not everyone can be a hunky life-saver! Haha. And really, I am not sure I would ever wear the necklace that we got - it will probably just go into the shoe box with all of my other medals.

      Delete
  3. That is an awesome race! Yes, a nice long taper seems to have worked well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just worked for this race - other things, not so much (ie - the love handle reference above! Eeep, gotta get back to running so I can keep eating!!)

      Delete
  4. LOL, Geez Kier, nice race! I need to follow that training plan! I'm taking a bit of a break from running this week and it feels nice. Nice to know that I don't HAVE to go run, nice to not have a schedule staring at me telling me I need to run X miles this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is going to be my go-to training plan from now on!

      I liked not having a schedule and not being a slave to Sunday morning long runs. For some reason, my Saturday nights were much more enjoyable! (read: getting to drink beer and stay up late!) haahh.

      Delete
  5. Congrats Kier! You helped remind me that even after a long break we can still run. Someday I hope to kick out a half marathon with a great time and feeling good at the end.

    Hate those rocks in the shoes!

    ReplyDelete