Sunday, March 27, 2011

all roads lead through washington + really awesome cookies

Today is a sad day in the PS household. We ran out of my newest kitchen creation. A few tears were shed. But then I quickly got over it upon learning that we would have not one, not two, but five last minute visitors!!

My beautiful mom was on her way home from Indianapolis (she's been hanging out with a bunch of fire fighters all week) and stopped for a quick visit + late lunch.

IMG_6401IMG_6387

We took advantage of the semi-beautiful weather and walked into town to have brunch/lunch at Cafe Dodici.

I was under the impression that she was planning on spending the night, but after being gone all week, she was anxious to get home.

IMG_6406

Of course, we took the obligatory group photo on the couch before she left.  Jack, the cat who must know what is going on every second of the day, decided to get in on this photo.

IMG_6403

IMG_6404 copy

He even knew where to look for the photo! :)

Up next - a very surprising visit from two of our best friends from high school, Dan and Aaron. They were on their way home from a very quick trip to St. Louis with two of their friends. So happy they decided to take the quick 15 minute detour and stop by!

IMG_6411

Their visit was even quicker than Mom's - but all that counts is that they stopped!  Can't wait until they have some more time to spend visiting.

After all of our guests were gone, we took the pup for a beautiful walk (still kind of chilly....still waiting for Spring!!), and then came home and made amazing lentil-walnut burgers from Oh She Glows. OMG - Mom, you totally should have stayed for dinner!!!

And now for the really awesome cookies.  The other day I saw this recipe and I instantly started craving oatmeal raisin cookies.  Of course, after I started mixing the first few ingredients together, I ventured far off the beaten path and did my own thing. So without further adieu...

Not So Sweet Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies
Ok, so they are not only for breakfast, rather these not too sweet cookies can be eaten any time during the day. A smear of peanut butter (or any nut butter) is the perfect addition to these fairly guilt free cookies.

IMG_6371
I swear there is a cookie under all of that deliciousness...see it??

I actually put the recipe on dailyplate so I could calculate the nutrition stats.  So check out the recipe here...and then tell me what you think about the stats of these cookies.

Nutrition Facts for Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies

Oh - my favorite way to eat these was topped with banana soft serve (made with frozen banana, chia seeds, a little bit of toasted coconut pecan butter, and some almond milk) and cooked apples. I had this for breakfast one morning, dessert later that night and breakfast the following morning.  Holy Yum.

And before you mock at me for eating banana soft-serve, tell me - have you ever tried it yet?  I know nothing will replace ice cream, but this sure can come darn close!  I mean, look at it...

IMG_6370

...I could eat it every day. (And I will once Spring gets here!)

IMG_6372

Especially when it sits on top of an oatmeal raisin breakfast cookie and is topped with warmed cinnamon apples.

In other news....

I spent this morning cleaning out my dresser and closet.  Nic did a little happy dance when he saw the emptiness of our closet. I am terrible when it comes to putting clothes away and keeping things organized.  I am bound and determined to keep it clean for at least a week!

I ran today.  I listened to all of you smart people and set out to do six.  But six quickly turned to three when I felt a little, and I really do mean little, twinge of pain behind my right knee. See...I am taking it slow and easing back into running. I did end my run with 800m on the track in my socks, just to see if I could notice a difference without my shoes on. Plus, it would be kind of cool to transition into minimalist running.  I think I will through a few barefoot 800s into the mix each week.

I really need to come up with a new plan for Fargo...once I do, I will share and probably ask you guys if I am being realistic.

Time to get ready for a busy week - which begins with picking up my new car!!!

How was your weekend??

12 comments:

  1. Kier, just thought you should know I've been lurking and checking out your blog via facebook here and there, and I ALWAYS want to try whatever you've just made. Can't wait to try my hand at this delicious-ness! Even more, can't wait to see you all in August :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you wrote 5 visitors kier...where are the other 2. I got all excited about the mystery of it all and was then let down! unless I have been out of the US for so long that they have omitted the numbers three and four and it really is, "not one, not two, but five guests!"

    PS the picture of Nic and the cat is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of running in socks. There is something so funny about spending 80 bucks on a pair of gloves for your feet to "get back to nature's way of running" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Maddie - Aaron and Dan came with two of their friends.

    @Erin - so excited to see you in August too!! It has been a looooong time.

    @Kara - OMG, running in socks was sooo cool. Totally different than running with shoes on. I don't know if I would run in just socks on streets though - that is where the feet gloves might come in handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great to spend time with you two. Email the pics to me please! And next time, I'll give you more notice so that I can have the lentil burgers too! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you found a car? Do tell!

    Also, tell me more about this banana soft serve. I gave up ice cream for lent and this may just be a viable craving solution!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @The Edberg's

    OMG - you are in for a sweet treat! Banana soft serve is so easy and so flexible...you can really create any flavor combo that you would have with ice cream!

    Here is the basic "recipe" feel free to add in whatever (chocolate chips and PB are a personal favorite!)

    For a big bowl...or to share:
    2 (peeled) frozen bananas chopped into chunks

    Throw the bananas into a food processor and process until thick and creamy. This will take a few minutes, but don't fret, you'll get there. There will be a point when you have something that looks like dip n dots (remember those?!) - keep going.

    If you need to, add just a bit of non-dairy or dairy milk to help loosen things up.

    I normally add a bit of vanilla as well, and I think the chia seeds help to thicken it up even further.

    Here is a great post with better directions, photos and different flavor combos - http://cleangreensimple.com/2011/03/vegan-ice-cream-without-a-machine/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or alternate title, someday the road will lead through Washington, IA. :)

    Miss you, jealous they got to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. why do you have post its on your picture frames?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this recipe this weekend. YUM. Got some of my dairy intolerant friends hooked too! Thanks for the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Laura
    So when we finally get around to printing photos we know which ones to put in each frame! There have been post it notes on them for over a year now!

    ReplyDelete