Thursday, March 31, 2011

new wheels

Two weeks ago I brought home a new set of wheels.

IMG_6355

I love my new bike and have been able to take it out on a few rides even though Mother Nature hasn't fully decided if she is ready to let go of winter just quite yet.

These wheels, however, are not conducive to a job which requires me to be on the road two to three, and sometimes even five, days per week.  So Nic and I spent quite a few days last week car shopping.

Car shopping - have you been lately? I was looking forward to it, but dreading it at the same time.

To start our search, we listed some of the qualities we were looking for in a new car:

  • Used
  • Reliable
  • Hatchback or small SUV
  • Good gas mileage


We both perused the internet looking for cars that matched up with at least a few of our wants located at local dealers. We found a few that really peaked our interest and then headed out to give them a test drive.

We went to a big Toyota/Scion dealership in Iowa City first.  Holy ball of nerves! Before we stepped foot out of the car, I asked Nic, "So what do we do, go inside or just start looking at cars on the lot and look lost? Whatever we do, I am sure a sales person will swoop down on us in a matter of seconds."

Our experience at that dealership was great. The sales guy that swooped in listened to what we wanted, respected our budget (we just gave him a ball park), told us about a few of the cars on the lot, and let us test drive whatever we wanted (by ourselves).

We had very similar experiences at two other car dealers in the area. Hey - car buying is nothing like they say it is! No one was trying to schmooze us, no one was trying to talk us into leasing a car...this is great!

Until...we went to one last big dealer just to make sure we had made the right decision. We walked in to a very busy store, wandered around until someone acknowledged our presence, and sat down to discuss our needs. Within two minutes, she was already trying to talk us into leasing (after we told her we were not interested) and was trying to talk us up in price...by over $10,000! As we were test driving a car, our first car at that dealership, she asked if we were ready to buy it.  Ummmm no.  We are ready to leave.

And leave we did.  To the dealership across the street.  To go buy my new car.

We test drove the following cars:

  • Toyota Rav4
  • Kia Rondo
  • Subaru Outback
  • Chevy Equinox
  • Dodge Caliber
  • Mazda Tribute

We bought the following car:

IMG_6414

IMG_6413

IMG_6417

Yeah!  A 2005 Toyota Rav4, 108,000 miles (yeah yeah), like new!

We did quite a bit of research and ended up deciding on the Rav4 because of the amazing reliability ratings it receives, the space (I can fit at least 45 cases of daffodils in there!), and I mean...look at it!  It is friggin' adorable!

The best part...we were able to pay cash. Holla!

Our experience at Toyota/Scion of Iowa City was amazing. Our sales rep, Kirk, either had the best sales tatic in the world (laid back, not pushy AT ALL), or was a genuine nice guy. Either way, we would recommend him any day. We were able to negotiate a great price and felt great walking driving away - not a twinge of buyer's remorse.

12 comments:

  1. That's where I take my truck Fritz to get fixed. The toyota place in CR is terrible and my boyfriend won't go back there. We drive the 20 miles to Iowa City instead. They're good guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also realized we need to get the rest of that area landscaped...the little white pine looks so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you got a super good deal by paying cash, you should have been able to haggle at least 10% off that (I'm a real joy to car shop with if you can't tell :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice choice! We are a Toyota family and we love them. I've never bought a car either, I'm glad it was a smooth process for you.

    Also, sweet new bike! I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for paying in cash! That is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for paying cash!

    We're huge Toyota and Subaru fans. You can't go wrong with either brand. 108K miles means it's just broken in. They last forever. Not being a slave to a car payment is a great feeling. Congrats on your new purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you!! Glad you had a (mostly) good shopping experience and paid cash for something you're happy with.
    Thumbs up on the bike too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the new car...and double congrats for paying cash!

    Both sets of your new wheels are pretty much the same color! I think Toyota was a good choice - my mom LOVES hers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a scion back in august and I'm obsessed with it. I hope you love your new sets of wheels just as much!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new car! I have heard great things about the Rav4s! Yay!

    When I bought my Infiniti, I had a similar experience - wouldn't respect my price range, so I also went across the street to buy something else ;)

    How has your running been going? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @kilax

    Running is going really well actually...I need to do an update post soon. I think lifting (dead lifts) was causing most of the pain...

    ReplyDelete