Monday, September 19, 2011

weekend cooking results

Aaaand the results are in.

From this:

IMG_9790

...and this:

IMG_9765

To this:

IMG_9918

I figured I was chained to the stove for approximately 12 hours this weekend (like any good little wife should be), slaving away over my farmers markets goodies, until my freezers screamed no more!


Only a few items went unscathed (zucchini, apples, hungarian peppers and paw paws) and the was turned into some farm fresh eats that we can enjoy this winter.

  • 12 pints stewed tomatoes (too lazy/not enough herbs to make spaghetti sauce)
  • 5 1/2 pints roasted roma tomatoes
  • 9 pints pumpkin puree
  • 2 pints roasted bell peppers
  • 6 pints pumpkin butter
  • 6.5 pints almond butter (not a farmers market find, but still...)
  • 4 loaves bread (2 pumpkin, 2 bananna - both yeast breads, not sweet)
  • 5 bags green beans
  • 2 bags acorn squash
  • 2 bags butternut squash
  • 2 bags spaghetti squash (overcooked spaghetti squash, hopefully it is still good!)
  • 3 bags kale

Believe it or not, if I could have kept going, I would have.

All in all though, it was a very productive weekend in the kitchen! :)

12 comments:

  1. That's awesome Kier! So do you know how to can things? Or do you just freeze in Ball jars? Also, do you ever have a problem with Ball jars cracking when you freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @eatrunbrit.com I've canned before, but I just froze everything this time.

    No cracked jars yet, but I did purchase freezer safe ones, which quite frankly, I didn't even know existed/what the difference is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...you did awesome! We have a mini chest freezer that isn't even being used - want to come fill it up?!

    You should post the recipes and such for the stewed and roasted tomatoes...and possibly the pasta sauce you didn't make. I could probably put those to good use! Or even the squash, although I'd have to bribe The Husband to eat that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only two words that I can come up with "holy crap."

    I'm at a loss for words for all that canning! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you should get the plastic freezer jars (in the canning section) next time - I love them for my "canning" stuff. and they snap together when you stack them, which is kind of a nice feature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'd say you were a little more than productive! My grandma is a huge advocate of canning and freezing, too. I'm pretty sure if there were some sort of national disaster her whole small town could live off everything she's got preserved in her freezen and pantry. I wish I had this sort of patience! It will be so nice to be able to pull from your pantry all winter long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap woman! You are such a better wife (and runner) than me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome! We were hoping to do that from stuff from our garden but nothing grew, lol. Did you grow much this summer? (I probably missed the post)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so impressive! Are you planning to do any tutorials on how you canned/bagged all of that produce? I just got a TON of squash from my CSA and am pretty sure I won't be able to use it up before it goes bad, so I'd love to know how you bagged it. p.s. I'm new to your blog (came from Sweet & Savory Eats) and am also running Twin Cities Marathon and the DM half!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh and I just saw you're from Minnesota and now living in Iowa...I'm the opposite - from Iowa and living in Minnesota now! Just a fun little fact :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go, Kier! It almost makes the thought of winter bearable, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete