Tuesday, August 28, 2012

farmers market vendor

I took a leap last Thursday and, much to the delight of my family, finally decided to set up shop at the Washington's Farmers Market and sell a few of my creations.

Of course, I did this in true "Kier-fashion" and waited until the last possible minute to get everything ready, which meant juggling work and baking through the wee hours of the morning the day before.

And then juggling emails and pulling cookies out of the oven the day of.

And besides not running the most efficient machine, I would not have changed a thing.

I brought just a few things to test out the water.

Macaroons

IMG_0075

IMG_0080

English Muffin Loaf

IMG_0082

Cinnamon English Muffin Loaf

IMG_0084

Chocolate Chip Cookies

IMG_0089

I quickly loaded up the car with just a few minutes to spare, stopped at the bank to get some cash and then made my way to the square, where I was given a primo spot because of my first time vendor status.

IMG_0094

The table was set and I nervously waited for the market to start.

IMG_0091

And when it did, I already had a line waiting to buy my stuff.

Granted it was a line of one person, but still...a line.

Ha.

IMG_0096

IMG_0097

IMG_0098

Nic came to hang out with me around 5:30 and was surprised at my table. Since I was frantically trying to figure out how to package everything after he went back to work from lunch, he pictured me with a table and a bunch of ziplock bags scattered about.

Thankfully WalMart came through as a pinch hitter and had everything I needed.

(Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever say that!)

IMG_0099

Within 30 minutes, I sold out of all of my bread.

30 minutes later, all of the almond joy macaroons were gone.

And 30 minutes after that, I was packing up and heading to JP's 207 for a drink + dinner to celebrate my first successful farmers market.

It was a success in a few other ways too. An organic farmer that I have been speaking to for the last few months asked if I would be interested in baking for a new CSA that will be starting next year. And the owner of my favorite coffee shop + restaurant in town, asked me when I would start baking for their shop.

Score.

See, good things can happen when you take the first step towards realizing your dreams.

16 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! It's fun being able to share the stuff you love doing. I wish you lived closer so i could enjoy some of your yummy baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am going to be in MN for a week here and there throughout September/October, so I will make you up a tasting plate!

      Delete
  2. So cool! Good job getting out there and awesome first time success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Maddie. Can't wait until we open up "The Jealous Sister Bakery" whether it's in the US or Sweden!

      Delete
  4. Way to go! If I ever leave central Iowa for the eastern half I'll have to stop in Washington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please make it happen! That would be so cool.

      Delete
  5. Congrats! That is so exciting. Taking those first scary steps can be so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I am not surprised they sold out and you did so well!

    What are the laws in IA for a Farmers Market? In IL we cannot cook in our homes and sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool! Very exciting! I love the little tags you made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just say that the macaroons and the cherry salsa are AMAZING!? Wanted to say "yum" after every bite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This seriously has me tearing up at my desk right now, Kier. SO PROUD OF YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah! Hopefully these market days are just the first steps towards something bigger.

      Delete