Sunday, September 2, 2012

vegan food swap

It's like having a pen pal...who loves food.

This month I participated in a "Vegan Food Swap" hosted by Cat at The Verdant Life. Once you register you are matched with two other people. You send a box of stuff to one person (valued at $20ish), and the other person that you are matched with sends you a box of stuff.

I was matched up with Michelle at A Bit Addicted to Cookbooks (hey, me too!) and received an awesome box of stuff!

IMG_0063

We opened the packaged while sipping some wine on our patio. It was like Christmas in August.

IMG_0065

Vegan queso that tastes amazing! Made in Texas, I might have to have Iker and Kim pick some up for me!

IMG_0066

Of course, the chocolate was one of the things we tore into. Dark chocolate + coconut is a favorite combination.

IMG_0067

These Caveman Bars consisted of three ingredients, peanuts, agave and salt. I must recreate them at home.

IMG_0068

The cookies were our dessert the night we opened the box. They were good, and reminded us a lot of soft Chips Ahoy cookies. Not sure we would eat them again, but they weren't bad.

IMG_0069

Bee Free Honee (made from apples!). I laughed when I saw this because I just received a bottle of it from the company to do a review on my blog. This is from Minnesota and I am very excited to give it a try in some upcoming baking experiments.

IMG_0070

I've seen soy curls on a few blogs before, but am kind of at a loss of what to do with them. Ideas?

IMG_0071

In each swap, you are supposed to include a hand written note. It was nice for Michelle to include a note with her reasons for including each item.

Thanks Michelle!

Overall, this was a fun thing to do and a great way to try some new products that I might not have access too, or might not usually purchase myself. I will be participating again in September!


5 comments:

  1. This is very cool! I wonder what that bee-free honey is like.

    My husband and I sell Soy Curls on our website (FakeMeats.com) and they are AWESOME. There are so many things you can do with them - make a BBQ sandwich, put them in soup or pasta, fry them... I can't wait to see what you do. They are super easy to work with and you can season them however you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soy curls and am sad I can't find them anywhere in Iowa (if you ever find them in Iowa City I'll have to make a trip back out there). We've made them into great faux mongolian beef as well as barbequed and stuffed into sandwiches. Soak them in something flavorful and fry 'em up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I sent an Iowa inspired box with:
      sun dried tomatoes from Grinnell, a bubmle bar from New-Pi, lip balm from Cedar Rapids, coffee roasted in Iowa city, and a squash from my garden, among a few other things.

      Delete
  4. I'm so jealous of this! Must participate next time. I'd love to send Iowa-inspired goods, too...like La Mie Bakery macroons...yum!

    ReplyDelete