Monday, October 18, 2010

IMT Des Moines Half Marathon Recap

IMG_0820

I ran my 4th half marathon of the Spring/Summer/Fall on Sunday. It was a perfect day for the 2010 IMT Des Moines Half Marathon!

IMG_0822

I ran as an American Cancer Society DetermiNation Athlete in memory of my dad and 2nd mom.

IMG_0825

It was a bit chilly, but nothing some tube sock arm warmers and cheap mittens couldn't take care of. I was excited. I had my sights set on a PR, but just wanted to get out and run relaxed.

IMG_0826

My trusty side-kick and personal race photographer was by my side and ready to cheer me on.

IMG_0828

A record was set with over 7,000 runners registered for the marathon and half marathon.

IMG_0833 IMG_0834

The course was pretty much out and back, but since I wasn't familiar with the area, I didn't even realize this. I am jealous of the people who live in Des Moines and have such a great trail system to utilize.  Makes me want to move...

IMG_0843

I did really well this year when it came to posing for the official race photographers. :) I smiled, waved and gave two thumbs up - can't wait to see them! The photos Nic took, I mostly realized he snapped them afterwards - except for this set where he let me know he was there by his annoying little call he does. I always tell him to not do that (at events when I am sitting by him) but it worked so well here! Once I heard it, I knew it was Nic right away and laughed.

IMG_0846

IMG_0848

Here is my favorite set of photos from the race - after smiling for Nic, I shifted by focus back to the course, but quickly saw some of the best spectators...

IMG_0849

IMG_0850

IMG_0851

Clearly the guy behind me thought these guys were pretty awesome too...

IMG_0852

"Fee Hi-5's!" This was my favorite sign of the day, well, right after my ultimate favorite, "Meth Kills - Use SPEED." Haha, I laughed out loud and told the guy it was the best yet.

IMG_0864

This was around mile 12 - with just one mile left I was running out of steam quickly! But I just held on to the fact that a huge PR was in reach and told myself "what was one more mile? JUST KEEPING RUNNING!"

IMG_0865

Umm, heck yes. Best photo of me running ever. :)

IMG_0874

Happy with my new PR!!

::Race Stats::
Total Time:1:43:26 (previous PR was 1:45:23 set at the Fargo half in May)
Average Pace: 7:54 minute miles
Overall Place: 407th
Division Place (25-29): 31/476
Gender Place:100/2520
I did a quick search and 9 people from my town ran and I was the fastest! :)

IMG_0876

Cancer sucks - but at least I am not sitting around doing nothing about it.  I've lost too many loved ones to this disease and I will not stop running until we find a cure! I was able to surpass my $1000 fundraising goal for the American Cancer Society thanks to many friends, family and volunteers!

IMG_0877

One of the many benefits of being an American Cancer Society DetermiNation athlete - you don't have to wait in a long line to get a massage! Plus I snagged a bunch of post race goodies for my 7 mile cool down. ER WHAT?! Yep, I had a 20 mile training run on the schedule for Sunday, so after a short 10 minute break from the half marathon, Nic and I took off to run an additional 6.5 miles to round out my total distance for the day at 19.5 miles. Crazy, right?

IMG_0878

::Overall thoughts on the race::
LOVED IT!  Despite the weekend being crazy (I was in Detroit on Friday-Saturday) I loved every minute of it. The race was very well organized (I can't comment on the Expo - we didn't get into Des Moines until late Saturday), the course was beautiful and there were spectators every where. The course for the half was very flat and clearly very fast. I will for sure be back next year for the half or the full if I don't run the TCM.  I would highly recommend this race to anyone.

After the race, we got way lost trying to get back to the hotel (due to the roads still being closed) showered quick and then headed back downtown to grab lunch. We stopped at the delicious Centro and enjoyed pasta and a black bean burger. DELISH!  I am going back to Des Moines just to eat there again.

After lunch, we headed to the mall, made a quick stop to enjoy the PappaJohn Sculpture Park.

IMG_0885

IMG_0899

Freaky, right?!

IMG_0905

Oh my - do you see the resemblance here? I should be scared...

IMG_0908

It clearly was a beautiful fall day!

IMG_0913

IMG_0915

IMG_0921

My favorite sculpture at the park - Nic and I did our best to recreate parts of it.

IMG_0924

IMG_0936

This one was called "T8."  See it?

IMG_0937

By the end of the day I was dragging. Much of our time spent at the sculpture park and the mall I spent leaning on Nic and making him drag me around. All I wanted to do was lay down and sleep!

We grabbed Maia from boarding on our way home and I immediately got to work in the kitchen. Remember I made some pumpkin puree the other day? Well part of it is now delicious pumpkin butter! Recipe coming soon!!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your spectacular time! I was also in DM for the half marathon; I had to walk a lot of it due to a hamstring issue, but ran/walked the last 8 or so miles. I love the DM half; I've done it twice, and the marathon once, and will definitely do it again-and run all the way this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats; you had an awesome race. Nice job!! Lots of good running pictures too. I wish I had more non-scary photos of me running races :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!

    And you are right, Des Moines has great trails. I run parts of the marathon course every week and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic recap Kier and CONGRATULATIONS ON THE PR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the PR! You're right about Des Moines; I live downtown and the trails are very convenient! You should consider running the full next year; I ran it on Sunday. Although there are a few challenging hills in the earlier miles, there's great race support and plenty of fuel stations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATS!! When are we going to run a half together in memory of our parents?? Love you!

    ReplyDelete