Monday, October 4, 2010

twice baked pumpkin granola bars

What do you do when you get home from a whirl-wind, highly emotional weekend at nearly 9PM on a Sunday night? Well, you whip up a batch of granola bars of course!

The kitchen has always been my place to lose myself, clear my mind and just be. And heavens know I needed that last night (along with some mindless television of course!)

Twice Baked Pumpkin Granola Bars

IMG_0639

It is for sure pumpkin season - are you on the pumpkin bandwagon? I have my kicks and have been on one for the past week. I think the stop at Kathy's Pumpkin Patch last week did me in...

IMG_0650

These guys turned out pretty darn good! I will make them again, but next time would add some more sweetener (honey or maple syrup). There is a subtle sweetness, but a little more would really bring out the flavor.

IMG_0641

I used::
3/4 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
3 T maple syrup - the real stuff
2 T honey
2 T canola oil
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1/2 t vanilla
3 cups oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds

Pre-heat oven to 325*

Toast coconut, pecans and wheat germ until fragrant and golden brown. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 300*.

Over medium heat, combine pumpkin, syrup, honey and canola oil. Bring to a simmer/low boil and stir for 5 minutes, until thickened. Add cinnamon, salt and vanilla.

In a bowl, mix oats, seeds and toasted coconut, nuts and wheat germ. Stir in pumpkin mixture.

Pour and press granola into a greased 9x13" pan. Score the granola into 16 bars.

Bake at 300 for 30 minutes. Remove, cool and place in fridge.

I decided this morning that I probably could have baked the bars longer and decided to throw them back in the oven at 300* for another 15-20 minutes to give them an extra crunch.

IMG_0646

Delicious. Extra delicious smeared with some pumpkin butter.

IMG_0644

2 comments:

  1. Ummmm. YUM. Am making these tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look sooo good! I love the idea of adding the coconut...kinda an unexpected flavor combo that I bet is delicious!

    ReplyDelete