Monday, October 4, 2010

October 4

October 4th is a big day in our life.

A year ago today, Ike, Maddie and I suffered through 26.2 grueling miles and completed our first marathon! You should read my race recap here.

If you would have told me that day immediately after finishing the marathon that in a year from then I would be training for my 2nd marathon, I would have laughed and said that is crazy talk. I would have keeled over if I would have known that I am training for my 2nd marathon AND hoping to qualify for Boston. 


I loved the Twin Cities Marathon, was have to admit I was a bit jealous being in Minneapolis this past weekend and not running it.  Next year though - I will run it again. Ike, Maddie - you guys in??
IMG_3119IMG_3130

One year ago today I gave Barb, my favorite mother-in-law, the greatest birthday gift ever. :)

Barb and Kier

Today is Barb's birthday - Happy Birthday Barb!

Today is also my dad's birthday - Happy Birthday Dad! He would have been celebrating his 56th birthday today, if it hadn't been for stupid cancer.

Kier and Dad

If you would have told me a year ago today that my best friend would be experiencing the loss of a parent to cancer too - I would have smacked you upside the head and told you that that just doesn't happen, and would never happen since one of us already went through that.

Life has a way of surprising us.

Two girls, attached at the hip since freshman year in high school. We ran together, played soccer together, fought together (like all best friends do!), and went to college together.

Nancy and Kier

And now we've both lost a parent to very aggressive forms of cancer. Each battle with cancer lasting less than 3 and a half months. Tell me - how that is fair?

I guess we all know life isn't fair.

We also know that today, my dad has some great company to celebrate his birthday with.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Kier. I love you both and I am so happy that Nancy has you during such a painful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has me in complete tears. I wish we could have supported you in the same way that you are giving Nancy such strength now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're enjoying birthday cake in heaven! The good stuff too, better than DQ ice cream cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously.. Love you:) Even if you do make me cry.. Also, I am totally going to need a copy of some of the pics from Sarah and Tony's wedding!! Miss you already!! And do know that I am sure are parents are ganging up on us from heaven;)

    ReplyDelete