Wednesday, January 26, 2011

ode to honey butter

{get ready for a totally random post}

{ready?}

Nic and I rarely keep butter in the house.  We just don't really use it.  Anymore.

You see, I used to bake.  A lot.  I would stay up l-a-t-e on Friday night baking, and then get up Saturday morning and start baking.  Clearly, baking is a hobbie that I loved (and still do!) and I have to admit, I could bake up quite the tasty __________ (fill in the blank).

So we used to buy butter pounds at a time. And then buy a few more pounds just in case.

I don't bake so much anymore (no baking = not eating so many buttery delights), so when we have butter in the house, there must be a special reason.

So we have butter in the fridge this week.  And I don't even really know why.  Maybe Nic can shed some light on this.  Nic -  why do we have butter in the house?

Anyway, let's get to the point.  The first blog I read this morning was Brit's and she posted a recipe for yeasted cornbread.  I knew right away I'd be making that to accompany tonight's dinner - homemade Chipotle burrito bowls.  So while the bread was doing its thing, I see the butter, think about the cornbread, think about honey on the cornbread and practically yell at Nic to whip up some honey butter.

Oh boy - I should have told him not to use nearly an entire stick.

The cornbread - amazing.  I made a few modifications (followed the original recipe, added two diced jalapenos, and chopped pepper jack cheese) and made it single serve style in a muffin pan.

The cornbread with honey butter - to die for.  Literally, I think I might die of a heart attack tonight.  Three cornbread muffins later, I think I probably ate at least a half stick of butter with dinner!  I literally made Nic take the butter and cornbread away from me after two, but kept sneaking bites with slabs of butter while we were cleaning the kitchen.  Whoops.

I think my FB status sums up how I feel about honey butter:

HoneyButter

Oh honey butter - I just posted an entire blog post singing your praises.  Me thinks it would be a good time to watch what might happen to me if I eat too much of you.  Biggest Loser time...g'night!

3 comments:

  1. If you want to feel better about your butter consumption, just watch some Paula Deen...there's no way you eat more than her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the cornbread. Now you have me all excited about making honey butter to put on mine for dinner. Yes, we're still eating cornbread like 5 days later.

    -Brit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man: this post is making me crave cornbread SO MUCH.

    I've never had honey butter, but it also sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete