Monday, February 21, 2011

pantry and freezer week - day 8

So remember these cookies that I absolutely devoured the other day?  Yeah - they are gone, long gone. So this morning, I recreated them...with my usual bowl of morning oats!

In the mix::
  • 1 whole frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup whole frozen cranberries - the bag from Thanksgiving is finally gone.
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup frozen squash puree
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • splash vanilla
  • a few white chocolate chips
  • a drizzle of maple syrup

IMG_5779

Soooo good.  I love me some oatmeal.

Really I do, I just got word today that the manager at our local Hy-Vee is totally able to order us a 25 lb bag of organic steel cut oats! Do you realize how much money we are going to save? The final price will be about $1 per pound.  Regular steel cut oats (not organic) go for around $3.18 per pound. Score.

After my amazing lunch hour run, I roasted up some veggies, heated up some left over lentils and created a huge old salad. Yum.

IMG_5784

Dinner included two freezer items today. Classic soup and salad - twas delicious.

A few months ago Mom and I made quite a few batches of wild rice soup and I have been hoarding my share in the freezer ever since.

IMG_5787

The sandwiches were a spin off of yesterday's pasta - balsamic roasted veggies on toasted pesto oat bread.

IMG_5791

A great combination.

I got creative for dessert and quite frankly, have no clue where I came up with this idea.  I wanted to make something with bananas and somewhere in the depths of my mind I whipped up the following:

Baked Banana Mouse/Pudding/Custard (I really have no idea what this type of dish is....)

In the mix::
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • sprinkle cinnamon
  • dash salt
  • 15 almonds
  • 1 T almond butter
  • 1 T butter
  • 2 whole frozen bananas
  • 1/4 cup squash puree
  • 1 T maple syrup
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • another sprinkle cinnamon
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 2 eggs

Pre-heat oven 350*

In a food processor, prepare the crust.  Combine the first eight ingredients and pulse until fine crumbs form. Press into a greased baking dish.

Next, prepare the filling. In the food processor (don't have to clean out), pulse the frozen bananas until you've created banana "soft serve." Add the next 6 ingredients and pulse until smooth. Add the eggs and process 2 minutes.

Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake at 350* for 45 minutes. Reduce heat to 325*, cover the top of the mouse/custard/pudding with tin foil and bake until no longer jiggly, about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool.

IMG_5794
Looks good...

I dug in for a quick serving to try to determine what I just created. A fluffy banana-bread tasting filling in a crumbly crust. I like it! I think it might be better cold...? I will let you know how it tastes tomorrow!

I think for the rest of this week's challenge I am going to try to use at least two items from the pantry/freezer for each meal, you know - shake things up a bit!

In other news - I think I am going to make a light box this weekend.  These yellowish evening photos are really starting to bug me.

4 comments:

  1. I love how creative you are in the kitchen! I wish I could borrow some of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried changing the white balance on your camera?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laura - YES! But I must not be doing it right (when trying to do the custom setting) - can you give me a tutorial??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your baked/custard/whatever thing sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete