Tuesday, February 22, 2011

random thoughts

IMG_7640

Most mornings I drag myself out of bed to take the pup for a walk. This morning's walk was especially peaceful as I was out the door by 5:00. The weather was beautiful, calm, a bit chilly, but a few extra layers kept me warm.

Because we left so early (normally we leave around 6:30) I resigned to let Maia sniff a little longer, roll in the last remaining snow piles for a few extra seconds, and generally wander just a bit more. Our sweet little brat is just that and still pulled me around a bit...but I tried to brush it off my aching shoulders.

While I was enjoying the peaceful morning, lost in my thoughts, I found myself thinking of two random things.
  1. What is my dream job?
  2. If I could eat just one meal for the rest of my life, what would it be?
Why was I thinking these things? Well every year around this time, I find myself dreaming of doing something different with my life, often times I will figure out a plan to put in place with steps to achieve my dream, and every time that plan is lost in the piles of stuff to do on my desk.

Who knows why I was thinking about food, probably because I love it so much and look forward to each and every meal. Being creative in the kitchen is something that I have always loved so naturally, thinking about food is always on my mind. It is a good thing I have a healthy relationship with food (well, most of the time).

So what are my answers to these thoughts?

My dream job is always changing. Over the years it have bounced back and forth between going to culinary school and opening a cafe that focuses on local, organic food, going back to school to become a dietitian, owning a bed and breakfast, creating a position with ACS that embraces my passion for running, and actually, my current job was my dream job my last few years of college.

Ultimately though, I would really love to move to Northern Minnesota on the shores of Lake Superior and own a few cabins that people could rent. The location would be right on the rocky beach with a few acres of woods surrounding the place so people could hike, ski, snowshoe, bird watch, walk their dogs, among a host of other outdoor activities.

IMG_9529

There would be a fire pit on the beach with comfortable seating so people could read under the stars while enjoying a glass of wine.

IMG_9328

There would be just enough to do onsite to make for a relaxing getaway from every day life...

IMG_9349

...yet close enough to more adventurous activities.

IMG_9424

And of course, a delicious breakfast would be delivered to each cabin with a piping hot pot of freshly brewed coffee each morning.

Pancakes and granola

Aaah - doesn't that just sound amazing?

When it comes to only being able to eat one meal for the rest of my life - that is a tough decision. After a little thought I've settled on a wood fired pizza topped with a tangy sauce, piled high with veggies and thick slices of fresh cheese.

IMG_9304

And on the side I would have a big bowl of straight from the garden blueberries and a warm homemade brownie.

I think I know what I'll be having for dinner tonight!

Let's hear it - what is your dream job and what is the one meal you could survive on forever and never get sick of eating it?

8 comments:

  1. I have to say I would gladly spend vacation time at one of your cabins! Sign me up.

    My dream job? Well, I suppose it would have to be--I just don't know! I love to read, so maybe a full-time reviewer? Or, something to do with nutrition or gardening. Hard to decide. Can't sit behind a desk all day.

    I agree on the blueberries. I love them, and am eating frozen blueberries I bought last summer on sale and bagged just for the cold months.
    Homemade pizza is the bomb, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My in-laws would rent a cabin from you! They married in northern Minnesota and go back there often.

    My dream job would be to run a dog refuge for unwanted dogs. In my scenario, I have a ton of money too, so I can get surgeries and training for dogs that need it!

    I think my one meal would be pizza too! Or sushi. It's so hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my dream job would also be something along the lines of a cafe or bakery. Unfortunately the hours that would be required are not my dream (and not very family friendly), so that makes things complicated....

    I think my one food would also be pizza. Or possibly some kind of breakfast food... french toast or eggs...? Eggs would be good since you can prepare them so many different ways...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog from dog lick baby world...

    And I enjoyed this post! Love your pics. I could totally go for a slice of that pizza you posted :)

    As for my dream job, I would love to be a hotel review-er. Get paid to travel, visit amazing places, stay in gorgeous accomodations...YES please!
    I'd even come review your mountain cabins :) I love the mountains!

    p.s. I'm going to follow your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. dream job...still working on coming up with that one.

    One meal: fried chicken, mashed pot/sweet pots, and peas. With Chocolate cake

    OR

    cheese scrambled eggs with cinnamon scones or donut muffins on the side!! OOO, I think I like this option better!! (tell nic to prepare for my august return, bc we will be eating cheese scrambled eggs EVERY morning!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dream jobs are almost identical to yours. I waiver between professional chef and dietician with dietician being the most realistic choice. The hubby and I dream of owning a bed and breakfast after we retire in many, many years.

    I just don't think I can pick one meal to eat for the rest of my life! I love variety and adventurous eating far too much for that.

    On a side note, our dream vacation right now is a canoe trip in the BWCA. I have a file that I keep all our info and plans in. Hopefully we'll make it in the summer if 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our dream jobs/lives are very similar - although my small kinda-sorta-B&B set up would be in the Rocky Mountains and catering specifically to the needs of snowboarders, skiers, hikers, rafter, etc.

    I spent two semesters in college creating my business plan, I've even found the perfect building for all of this - I just need to get my hands on about $3 million...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I am late to the game, but I so enjoyed this post. I, too, often find myself day dreaming about the perfect job for me...and food. I don't know what my one dream job is. Sometimes I want to open up a community kitchen; sometimes I want to be a writer; sometimes my dream job is a simple "be a mom."
    As for the food? Now THAT'S a tough question. I think I can only narrow it down to Thai...maybe.

    ReplyDelete