Wednesday, February 16, 2011

pantry & freezer week - day 3

A quick post to recap day three of our pantry and freezer challenge - I have to be on the road before 7 tomorrow morning and don't plan on being home until late afternoon - going to be a full day!  Hopefully I will have some time to enjoy the 60* temps!

Breakfast was oatmeal as usual - but the addition of squash kept it new and exciting.  This squash was purchased at a fairly local pumpkin patch and was huge, which created a lot of puree to freeze and use at a later date.

In the oats::
  • 1 whole frozen banana
  • about 1/4 - 1/3 cup frozen squash puree (just broke off a few chunks)
  • 1/4 cup steel cut oats
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup soy
  • sprinkle cinnamon
  • swirl of real maple syrup
  • blob of peanut butter

IMG_5434

Another winner!

Lunch was a big old salad using up a bunch of veggies and some spinach that was on its way out. For some added protein I grabbed a can of black beans from the pantry and whirled them in the food processor with a clove of garlic, bit of cumin, salt, pepper and a bit of water.  I then heated the puree on the stove to create refried beans...or warm black bean hummus??  Whatever it was, it sure tasted good. I am looking forward to having the rest spread on top of some fresh toast.  Yum.

IMG_5442

After taking the photo I topped the salad with the last of a bag of tortilla chips from the pantry and a scoop of hummus (still left over from brunch).

Shortly after lunch I had to make my way up to Iowa City for my first session of Girls on the Run! On the way I snacked on my last battered grapefruit and a small peanut butter sandwhich (made with my absolute favorite peanut butter!) on some left over french bread that we pulled out of the freezer.

Girls on the Run was fun!  I wasn't too sure what to expect, but the girls had a blast (minus one who had a bit of an attitude) but at the end of our hour and 15 minutes together they were asking why we couldn't meet every day.  Cute.

I met up with Diana for a run afterwards as I was in her neighborhood.  We were supposed to do 10 x 400m speed workout, but I was not aware I would be doing a hill workout as well!  It is amazing how much the landscape changes within 30 miles.  So instead of the speed work, we hammered out 6.32 miles - through slush, puddles and mud.

My shoes got dirty.

So I bought new shoes.

Makes sense, right?  Actually, I was at least 100 mile over on my current pair of shoes so I needed to snag a new pair. So I walked into Running Wild sweaty, muddy, in my running tights, asked for my pair of shoes and was informed that since I was a coach for Girls on the Run I would get a 15% discount.  Score!

Dinner was prepared by the lovely husband using a few freezer items - blue cheese sliders that we whipped up a few months ago nestled in toasted french bread. I asked for some roasted carrots on the side, and Nic followed suit on how I prepared them the other day - whole, roasted right on the oven rack.  I like to call them lazy man roasted carrots.

IMG_5454

Seriously, these burgers are my favorite burgers ever.  Seriously.

After dinner, I was left craving something sweet - so whipped up some 5 ingredient no-bake chocolate peanut butter oatmeal balls.  Totally hit the spot and were perfect!

IMG_5478

In the mix::
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 2 t brown sugar
  • 2 t cocoa powder
  • 2 T natural peanut butter
  • enough water (about 4 teaspoons) to hold together
Shape into four balls and share with someone you like a lot.

Oh yeah - and Nic hit up the grocery store today.  Secretly, I was hoping we could make it the entire week without hitting up Hy-Vee, but alas.  He did good and stuck to our shop the perimeter of the store rule. 

IMG_5465

In the cart::

  • bananas
  • honey crisp apples
  • oatmeal bread
  • spinach
  • eggs
    G'night!

    5 comments:

    1. Wow, those chocolate peanut butter oatmeal balls look awesome. I am already thinking about making them later.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Your entire day of eats looks amazing!

      I'm glad GOTR went well, don't worry about the attitude one, she'll warm up :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. The peanut butter balls look like a great on the go snack. I will definitely try them!

      And black beans rock. Love them.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Fun foods! I've never thought about squash in oatmeal, but I suppose it's not much different than pumpkins. I also lice black beans, abd burgers look amazing.

      Glad you're liking Girls on the Run ( and got a discount on your shoes :-)!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I tried these chocolate peanut butter balls last night and they were so good. My husband even said that they were one of the most satisfying treats he has ever had and it was totally guilt free. Thanks for the idea!

      ReplyDelete