Thursday, February 17, 2011

pantry & freezer week - day 4

Another quickie - daffodil orders and an episode of the Biggest Loser are waiting for me.  As well as a heating pad and ice pack.  My dang knee is killing today (more like a tendon behind my knee) and I need to get this remedied ASAP.

Breakfast - apple cinnamon oats.

IMG_5490

In the mix::
  • 1 whole frozen banana
  • 1 honey crisp apple - grated with a cheese grater
  • 1/4 cup steel cut oats
  • 1/4 cup soy milk
  • a dash water
  • sprinkle cinnamon
  • blog peanut butter
OMG delicious!  Raisins would have made it better though - that is one of my favorite combinations.

I snaked on carrots and hummus while I was driving all over the state pick up orders for daffodils, and then an apple and a few almonds before I headed to Rotary for lunch.  My Rotary club serves the crappiest food ever for lunch and most days I skip it.  Today was a baked potato bar which was sub par, but I was hungry.  So I loaded up a spud with mushrooms, nasty broccoli in cheese sauce and a little bit of mystery chili.  I did enjoy the larger than my face peanut butter monster cookie though.  ;)

IMG_5497

The lackluster lunch left me hungry and after a few afternoon meetings I snacked on some blueberries (freezer), soy milk and kashi (pantry).

IMG_5501

Now - on to the creative dish I have been dreaming up in my head for the past few days...let me tell you, it did not disappoint!

Cranberry & Apricot Garlic Couscous (yeah...could use a better name!)

IMG_5505

In the mix::
  • couscous
  • 2 cloves garlic - minced
  • 1 cup frozen whole cranberries (still from Thanksgiving)
  • 4 dried apricots - chopped
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
Prepare the couscous according to package.  I brought 1 1/4 cups water to a boil and then added 1 cup couscous and a drizzle of olive oil.

In a pot over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil and then add garlic and cranberries.  Sauté until cranberries begin to pop and stir in apricots, salt and pepper.  Stir in about half of the couscous (or more if you want) and cook for a few more minutes.  Add a splash of water to deglaze the pan.

IMG_5506

Weird combo right?  It was mighty delicious though!  I will be making this again for sure.  We served this with toast with the black bean spread I made the other day to top our salads with.  Maybe too many carbs...but it was a good dinner.

I almost forgot - I really loved those chocolate peanut butter balls I made last night and made up another batch tonight, with a few variations.

IMG_5517

In the mix::

  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 2T peanut butter
  • 2 t powdered sugar (instead of brown)
  • 1 t regular cocoa powder
  • 1 t dark cocoa powder
  • 1 T sliced almonds
  • 2 t maple syrup
  • 2 t water
  • pinch salt
Pretty sure I liked these better than last night's version.  I practiced self control and only ate one so I can enjoy another tomorrow.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Hold up! You only ate one of those balls of chocolate-y goodness? I'm impressed. I probably would have eaten both of "mine" and probably tried to take Chris' second one too. I cannot be trusted with chocolate desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm mystery chili :)

    Sorry your knee is bothering you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Britt - I know, right?! The first night I gobbled down my two and then threatened Nic I would eat his second while he was sleeping...

    @Kara - mystery chili is ALWAYS the best, especially when it is more like a sauce and just has a few whole beans visible...eeewww.

    ReplyDelete