Wednesday, March 9, 2011

cross train fail

Confession: I had planned to swim laps at the Y yesterday morning as well as this morning.  Each day, I snoozed for over an hour and never made it to the pool.

Lame, right?!  I have been looking forward to getting in the pool to really push myself and build/maintain my endurance levels.

My excuse is a poor one - just two busy days in a row, very busy days. But I totally could have gotten to the pool a minute before it opened, swam for 30 minutes (because 31 minutes is just way to hard), and returned home before 7 and could have been well on my way to having a great day with an awesome workout already under my belt.

Now, I have to find time to fit in a great workout into my already jammed packed afternoon/evening.

Looks like I have another date with the elliptical!

And this post begins my new series "Cross-Training My Way to Fargo" because I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be able to run for a while.

So, any tips on how to successfully cross train for a marathon? (Besides not skipping my pool sessions!)  What should I do in place of my long runs?

5 comments:

  1. Maybe bike riding? I think that's as cardio as running, but I don't know because I hate riding bikes so I don't do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elliptical can keep you quite fit if you really work it. Since it's probably the closest motion to running, it's probably your best bet. But swimming is good for endurance too. I'd consider that cross-cross training :) Hope this knee thing clear sup quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be checking back to this post frequently as I'm out right now with a hip injury. Hope you're on the mend soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pool first thing in the morning sounds terrible to me! But swimming laps at any time sounds terrible (and hard!) to me. Working out has been a struggle lately, I can commiserate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elliptical? Other scary gym machines? I suck at cross training.

    Or check out spinning - won't cover your long runs since its only 45 minutes, but it will get you some good cardio.

    ReplyDelete