Monday, April 11, 2011

apple cinnamon baked oatmeal

Oh hush. I know you are excited to hear about this baked oatmeal, don't deny it! :)

Seriously though, I went to bed on Saturday night dreaming up this baked oatmeal and sprung out of bed at 6:30 on Sunday morning to get to work. 6:30 people!!  I get a little excited about food...

This baked oatmeal surpassed my expectations in many ways. The best and most unexpected result, the texture was a cross between oatmeal and bread pudding. Win.

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal

IMG_6541

In the mix::

  • 4 T maple syrup
  • 1/2 cups walnuts - roughly chopped
  • 3/4 t cinnamon
  • one apple - shredded with a cheese grater
  • 1 banana - diced
  • 2 T ground flax seed 
  • 5 T water
  • 1/4 cups raisins
  • 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal - whirled in the food processor for a bit
  • 1 1/2 cups almond milk
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 T coconut oil + plus more for greasing the dish
Pre-heat oven to 350*

Grease your baking dish (I used a medium round glass one) liberally with coconut oil. Add 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 1/2 cup walnuts and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.

In a small bowl, make a flax egg by combining ground flax and water. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine apple, banana, raisins, oatmeal, almond milk, salt, vanilla and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Stir in flax egg.

Pour mixture over the walnuts. Make sure you choose a baking dish that is large enough to hold everything! Mine was overflowing.

Bake at 350* for 1 hour.

IMG_6527

You might want to keep your eye one it while baking. Mine started oozing deliciousness.

IMG_6532

Yum.

I was hoping I would be able to invert this once it was done and call it an upside down baked oatmeal, but it kind of fell apart. Oh well...

I topped mine with a splash of almond milk and a drizzle of maple syrup. OMG. I die.  It was so good and thee perfect way to start a Sunday morning! The walnuts + syrup on the bottom caramelized and were the best part of the dish - just what I was hoping for.

IMG_6539

This could serve about 3-4 people, but Nic and I devoured the entire thing in 10 minutes flat. Okay okay, I savored it for at least 15 minutes.  With a piping hot cup of coffee................heaven.

8 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! I can't wait to try it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooooove baked oatmeal! You got me with the bread pudding texture comment. Must make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the main reasons I'll never be a food blogger is that I never go to sleep thinking about what I'm going to have for breakfast the next day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm I love how it's overflowingly oooozyyy~lol. I love baked oatmeals. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh this oatmeal look amazing.. drool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of excellent reading here, many thanks! I was seeking on yahoo when I found your publish, I’m going to add your feed to Google Reader, I look forward to additional from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made this oatmeal bake many times over the past year and a half, and served it at brunches, church potlucks, and special occasions and EVERYONE goes nuts over it! Thank you for such a stellar recipe that works around my family's many food allergies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - thanks for the comment Colleen! And for reminding me about this recipe hidden in my archives - I am going to have to make it again soon. So glad to hear everyone likes it!

      Delete