Sunday, April 10, 2011

chickpea wild rice burger

Quite a while ago I ate an amazing wild rice burger from The Local in Minneapolis. Holy yum. The instant I got home I emailed the manager to see if they would share their recipe - and of course the answer was no, however he did invite me back to the pub for a free beer. Customer service win.

The Local's MN Wild Rice Burger

I think I tried to recreate that burger a few months after my visit, but I can't remember. I had the Local's burger in mind when I created this version, but I kind of just took the idea of combining wild rice + chickpeas and then headed in my own direction.  I'll have to stop by the Local next time I am in MN to refresh my memory on the taste...but until then - here's a tasty burger that got pretty good reviews in the PS household.

Curry Chickpea Wild Rice Burgers

IMG_6525

In the mix::

  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 1 cup wild rice
  • 3 cups veggie stock
  • 1/2 medium onion - roughly chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 T coconut oil
  • 2 t curry
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 2 T flax seed (optional)
  • 1/2 t red pepper flakes
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 2 cups chickpeas - cooked
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds


In a medium pot, add both rices and veggie stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover until cooked, about 50 minutes. (I did this the day before).

Heat coconut oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, just to take the bite off. Add to a bowl of a food processor.

Add curry, salt, flax seed, red pepper flakes, tomato paste, 1.5 cups of chickpeas, and 1 cup of the cooked rice. Process until fairly smooth.  Add another cup rice and 1/2 cup more chickpeas, pulse until just combined. Stir in sunflower seeds.

We stored this mix in the fridge for a few days and just made up some patties when we felt like it. We've cooked it on the stove, but figured out that is works best to cook them in a 350* oven for about 10 minutes on each side. Be careful when you flip them as they are soft and fragile. (Not sure how to fix that problem....suggestions?)

IMG_6523

If we were feeling lazy, we would just pile some of the mixture onto a piece of bread and cook everything in the oven for 15-20 minutes - also very tasty and easy!

IMG_6516

My favorite way to eat the burger: 1 piece of toast smeared with tomato paste, topped with spinach, tomatoes, some raw onion and a side serving of roasted brussel sprouts.

4 comments:

  1. Your food pictures look like they belong in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooove the Local's veggie burger! It's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Local as well! Yummmmmm!

    Also, I'm catching up on blogs and read your last couple entries together. Interestingly, I also hate, hate, hate it when the fiance tries to hug me while I am doing something and I swear he does it just to drive me nuts!

    ReplyDelete