Tuesday, April 26, 2011

raw peanut butter pie

When family gets together for holidays, Kierstan brings dessert.

That is just the way it has always worked.

Cheesecake was the typical choice, and often more than one variety.

So to say that my dad's family would have been miffed if I didn't show up with dessert on Easter Sunday is an understatement.

But I don't eat cheese anymore let alone make cheesecake. And I was not about to venture into baking a tofu cheesecake for a family who loves their cheese (yes, I am totally the odd man out here!).

So I did what I do and I got creative in the kitchen.

And it sooooo paid off.

Ask my cousin Jenna - she will vouch for this girl's kitchen experiment gone right.

The Epic {Raw} Peanut Butter Pie
Packed with nuts, nuts and more nuts this is not a light dish by any means. But with no sugar, cream or whatever else is a staple in a traditional peanut butter pie, you won't feel {too} guilty eating a tiny slice (or four if your name is Jenna!).

IMG_6653

In the mix::
For the crust:

  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 7 pitted dates
  • 3 t cocoa powder
  • 1 t honey (use maple syrup for a vegan pie)
  • pinch salt

For the filling:
  • 1 cup dry roasted peanuts soaked over night with 3 dates
  • 2/3 cups cashews soaked overnight (or for a few hours)
  • 2 T coconut butter
  • 4 T honey (use maple syrup for a vegan pie)
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 5/8 cups (or a scant 2/3 cups) unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
  • additional peanuts coarsely chopped for garnish

For the crust - add all of the ingredients into the food processor and pulse into finely ground and mixture sticks together when pressed between your fingers. Add more dates if you need to make it sticker. Press into a pie plate and set in the freezer.

For the filling - add the drained peanuts (and dates) into the food processor with coconut butter (if you don't like coconut, this could be removed), honey and salt. Process until smooth. I stopped mine before it turned into the consistency of peanut butter. (I had no idea what I was making at this point!), but it would be amazing if you processed it until it did achieve a peanut butter like consistency.  Remove to the bowl.

Again in the food processor (no need to clean it), add the soaked cashews (drained) and almond milk. Process until very smooth.

Fold the cashew cream into the peanut butter mixture. Spread filling into the crust and garnish with coarsely chopped peanuts (toasted coconut flakes would be a great addition too!).

Store in fridge until ready to serve.

Epic. Hands down.

I almost didn't bring this "weird" experiment in to my aunt's house to share with everyone because I was worried it wouldn't go over well.

Pretty sure the pie was gone before I had a chance to snap a photo of a few slices.

Creamy, peanut buttery with just a hint of coconut and chocolate. A perfect Easter pie to share with the ones you love.

I will be making this again soon - maybe with a few changes to see if I can't make it even more epic!

4 comments:

  1. That pie looks out of control. Very creative!

    I was wondering if Kier was short for something. My BFF's name is Kiera, and I have a niece Kiersten. Curiousity satisfied :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought "Kier" was your full name :) I guess it makes more sense now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks SO delicious! You've got to love when kitchen experiments go right :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh!!!!
    what a delicious pie!!!!

    ReplyDelete