Saturday, May 7, 2011

fargo marathon training upadate

T minus two weeks!

In fact, in precisely two weeks from today, if all goes according to plan, I should be done with the 2011 Fargo Marathon, wondering through the Fargo Dome in search of the husband.

Sub 4 people, sub 4.

My training has been going just swimingly since I've recovered from my weight-lifting induced knee injury (yes, 99% sure it was the heavy weights I was lifting).  I've been keeping it relaxed and have been trying hard not to freak out if I miss runs.

I am certain I overtrained for the Route 66 Marathon and I am also certain I have not been over training for Fargo.

The weather here in Iowa has been fairly nice the last few days (although still a bit too windy for my liking), and my high school cross country coach would remind me, rain, snow shine - perfect running conditions.

Clearly he forgot wind. Wind does not make perfect running conditions, but is has been some good training for a potentially windy Fargo marathon.

Picture 4
Check out Wednesday and Thursday's run! I felt amazing and just let my body determine my pace. Too bad I can't keep that up for 26.2 miles!

I can't believe I am already beginning to taper. Tapering scares me as I always feel I lose just a little bit of my endurance that I have built up over the past weeks, and I feel the negative thoughts creeping into the back of my mind. Sub 4, really Kier? You are not that awesome. You will probably lose everything by mile 8 just like Tulsa. You suck.


Oh yeah - some days it is really bad. Luckily, I will have an awesome running buddy for at least the first few miles of the race (hopefully the entire 26.2 miles!) who will push me to keep those negative thoughts at bay and encourage me on to finish my third marathon in under 4 hours.

3:59:59? A huge happy dance will ensue, copious mugs of beer will be drank with a few very very cool running people (including three others from here!), and the celebrating will continue through Monday with our good friends + pups.

4:00:01? I will be a depressed runner and will give up running for life.  Ahh, okay, maybe not. But I really really really want to see my finish time start with a three. Like really.

How hard can it be to maintain a 9:06 pace for 26.2 miles? It practically hurts to run at a 9:06 pace (please don't get mad, I am talking about my running ability here and not making generalizations! 9:06 might be the fastest you have ever run and that is AWESOME!).  My goal is to maintain a 9:00 pace, giving me a good four minute cushion to hit a sub 4.

Picture 5

It is still a little far out to be looking at the weather forecasts as seen from these two dramatically different outlooks:

Picture 7

Picture 6

I can deal with the rain, but please please don't let it be near 80* while I am still running!

Less than two weeks to go. 336 hours. 20,160 minutes. 1,209,600 seconds.

Sub 4 people, sub 4.

(and now I must finally get my booty out the door for my 12 miler!)

6 comments:

  1. Your training plan looks awesome and I think you can do it! Good luck in Fargo. You'll be closer to my family (in Thief River Falls) than I've been since Xmas!

    Also, any interest in coming to Ames for Midnight Madness in early July? It's a nightime 5k/10k. You can do either or both. I'm doing both. Then you drink the night away and hang out inside the sprinkle tent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That race in Ames sounds awesome! I am going to try to convince the husband that he should start training for the 5K! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you to rock that marathon! I know you'll be able to get a sub-4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are ready; you can definitely hit 3:XX:XX! You said it yourself, your training has gone great since you've been back running. Just don't let the mental game freak you out. :-)

    Ahh, that pesky weather forecast. I'm refusing to look it up myself until the week of. Ditto on "please don't let it be 80* while I'm still running!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why would you be concerned about wind in Fargo? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhhhhhh i was just going to email you today and ask your thoughts about focusing on 9's for the race. yes yes yes!! I'm so excited and we are SO GOING SUB 4!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete