Saturday, May 7, 2011

carrot apple muffins

On the weekends I generally lean towards creating muffin-like foods in the PS kitchen. Muffins, fruit breads, scones, coffee cakes just scream grab a cup of coffee and sit around the kitchen table for hours with your family enjoying breakfast.

It's my mom's fault actually. Growing up she always had a batch of chocolate chip muffins baking on Saturday mornings as we woke up wiping the sleep from our little eyes. Not much has changed these days, except the muffins have been replaced with scones, and it is usually me making breakfast for her as she rolls out of bed.

(Mom! That scene just played in my mind and I really wish I could be spending the day with you tomorrow. Sad.)

Nic proclaimed these muffins/bread the best that I have made yet, and I might have to agree.

Carrot Apple Muffins/Bars

IMG_6699

In the mix::

  • 2 T ground flax
  • 4 T water
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 2 T chia seeds
  • 1 T molasses
  • 4 carrots - grated (about 1.5 cups)
  • 1 apple - grated (about 3/4 cup)
  • 1 banana sliced into thin coins
  • 1/2 cup almond flour (or flour of your choice)
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350*

Make your flax egg by combining the ground flax and water. Set aside.

In a medium bowl mix together applesauce, honey, vanilla, salt, almond milk, chia seeds and molasses.

Grate apple and carrots, slice banana - set aside.

Mix together almond flour, oats, whole wheat flour, baking powder, soda and pecans.

Stir dry ingredients into the wet, fold in carrots, apples and bananas.

I made some mini muffins and also filled an 8 x 11 (or something like that) glass baking dish.  The muffins took about 30 minutes and the bars took about 45 minutes.

IMG_6686

These are especially delicious smeared with homemade peanut or almond butter!

They would also be awesome with some cinnamon stirred in. But Nic is a hater and I was a good wifey and kept it out of these just for him.

I am awesome. I know this.

No comments:

Post a Comment