Friday, June 24, 2011

yummers

Lunch today was a total win.

And it all started in my garden.

Basil - growing in MY garden.

Shocker.

I need to start using this glorious herb as my five plants are growing like weeds!

Enter - roasted red pepper pesto.

Actually, I am not really sure you can call it a pesto as there is no cheese. Meh. Who needs cheese anyway?

I took to the web to figure out what I should have for lunch that centered around this condiment that promised to be delicious.

A veggie sandwich won, only because I had no pasta.

Tonight we'll eat pasta.

Roasted Red Pepper Pesto

IMG_7148

In the mix::

  • 2.5 bell peppers (537g) - I used 1.5 red and 1 yellow
  • 1/2 cup packed basil (29g)
  • 1/4 cup toasted walnuts (33g)
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste

Process in food processor until smooth, season with salt and pepper to taste.

I spread two tablespoons on some toasted honey whole wheat bread from Great Harvest (I've been hiding this from Nic in the freezer since I've returned from Duluth!) and topped them with carrots, spinach, red onion and snow peas.

IMG_7147

Pretty sure the pesto will only get better as the flavors marinate together in the fridge.

Heck, I might just skip the pasta and eat it by the spoonful for dinner tonight.

IMG_7146

Lunch was so so very good. A blob of Sabra Roasted Red Pepper hummus (good, but not my favorite variety) and Food Should Taste Good sweet potato chips rounded out the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment