Wednesday, July 6, 2011

asparagus & onion socca pizza

The pickings are getting pretty slim here at the PS house. Nic and I finally nailed down a new budget and are set on sticking to it {note to future self: do not start following a budget on a holiday weekend when you plan on being out of town! Yeah, we might have been a little too flexible with the budget last weekend}.

We have quite a bit of food in the freezer to plow through, but when your staring at the clock after a hot and sweaty 6.5 mile run and realize it is going to be 8:30 before you get anything to eat, frozen food really doesn't work.

{Speaking of my run} I was totally exhausted yesterday and wasn't really sure I was even going to run. I wanted to, but had very little energy. I vowed to get in the three mile loop around my neighborhood, but the second I stepped foot out the door, I started talking myself out of the run. So, I forced myself to head towards the other side of town so that if I decided to call it quits, I would at least double whatever distance I had run.

Worked like a charm. After about a mile I found my groove and was having an absolute blast! I ran 6 miles (8:22, 8:03, 8:05, 8:04, 7:48, 7:38), walked .10 mile to the track and did an easy half mile barefoot. I was a hot and sweaty mess when I walked in the door, but was flying high on cloud nine. Until...

...I opened the fridge and an entire, brand new, carton of eggs fell out and crashed to the floor. Yeah, that was fun. But hey, now the floor is mopped and underneath the fridge is squeaky clean!

{Back to dinner} I was flipping threw a few cookbooks looking up recipes that included eggs or asparagus (I told you, things are looking a little bare!) and a recipe for chickpea pancakes jumped out at me. Eggs and pancakes? Sure!

But then, I saw the recipe socca pizza and new what I would feed the husband.

Asparagus & Onion Socca Pizza

IMG_7606

This recipe was quick and easy and I can see it making an appearance more often. I used the socca pizza recipe from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian cookbook, adding 1/4 cup diced onion and 1 teaspoon minced garlic to the crust. In the last 12 minutes of baking (for a total of 20 minutes total), I topped the pizza with 12 asparagus spears, roughly chopped, and half of a small white onion, thinly sliced.

IMG_7605

When I pulled it out of the oven, I topped it with some freshly ground black pepper and some hot pepper flakes. Lovely!

I was super excited about this creation until I started to cut it into slices. The crust wasn't as crisp as I thought it would be, so it was a little bit of a mess getting it out of the pan. {So happy I took a few photos before!}. After the first slice was removed, everything came out fine.

And it tasted fantastic! Nic and I devoured the pizza no problems. What a great dish highlighting a few in season veggies on top of a high protein, rich in good fat, crust.

IMG_7604

Yum.

Socca pizza is made from chickpea flour. I used Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour.

3 comments:

  1. Holy negative splits! What a great run :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and had to read because of your name! I go by Kir also (same pronunciation) is your name Kiersten or just Kier? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kirsten bent Happy you found me! My full name is Kierstan.

    ReplyDelete