Wednesday, July 6, 2011

eating seasonally & locally

Tis the season for farmers markets. My favorite time of year.

Beginning in May, our community has a weekly farmers market on the square.

Beginning in May, Nic and I do our best to purchase most, if not all, of our produce from our market, or surrounding areas' markets.

Not only does a Thursday evening downtown boast an amazing market, but our chamber also hosts entertainment and the municipal band plays.

That's small town Iowa at its finest. 

Love.

The next time I am at the market, I really should take some photos.

Tonight's dinner showcased some produce I picked up at a pumpkin patch just a few miles south of us. I cam home with kale, tomatoes, beets, green beans and Georgia peaches for a whopping $11.72.

Did you know that eating seasonally and locally is cheap?! :)

I grilled up dinner as soon as Nic walked in the door from a 20 mile bike ride - I think he was quite pleased with the spread set out before him.

IMG_7622

Grilled kale (local), asparagus (not local, leftover from camping), tomatoes (local, already!) and potato, white bean & basil burgers.

IMG_7625

The grilled tomatoes rocked my socks off. Just a light brushing of olive oil was all these beauties needed, and the potato, white bean & basil burgers were fantastic! Much better than the first time we ate them - they too beg to be eaten by themselves.

IMG_7623

But the kale was the star of the show. Tossed with just a little bit of olive oil, I threw a bunch on the grill with a few basil leaves plucked from my garden. As the edges began to char, I tossed it around on the grill for just a few minutes and served it with just a sprinkle of salt and black pepper. This is my new favorite way to eat kale.

I puffy heart kale.

IMG_7622

All together now.

Three cheers for eating local!

Tomorrow, I will share with you the dessert I made. It is bound to be delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of local farm stands, but when I actually stop and try to wrestle ears of corn into a bag while balancing a 25lb baby in an unairconditioned tent, I start thinking that the grocery store might be a better call. :)

    ReplyDelete