Saturday, July 16, 2011

summer squash gratin with sweet corn and new potatoes

Remember this beauty of a photo I took last Thursday after snagging some delicious looking produce from the farmers market and my garden?

IMG_7726

Seriously, I think I might print and frame it and hang it in my kitchen. I am sure gazing at it during the dreary cold winter months in Iowa will instantly snap me out of a funk and send me back to thoughts of summertime.

Well, after a long time baking away in the oven, Nic and I feasted on the flavors of summer.

IMG_7734

Side by side:

IMG_7726IMG_7734

Seven main ingredients + spices and vegetable stock = a simple, yet elegant, summer dish.

Summer Squash Gratin with Sweet Corn and New Potatoes

In the mix::

  • 1/2 huge summer squash, sliced into thin rounds
  • 1/2 sweet onion, sliced into thin rounds
  • 3 new potatoes, sliced into thin rounds
  • kernels from 2 ears of sweet corn
  • 3 small tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
  • 5 basil leaves, roughly chopped (I would use more next time)
  • 1/2 cup chickpeas
  • 1/2 T olive oil
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • 1.5 cups vegetable stock
  • Salt & pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 375* and grease a nine in pie plate with a little bit of olive oil.

In a small bowl, mix the chickpeas with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, garlic powder and a bit of salt and pepper. Set aside.

Prepare the gratin. Beginning on the outer edge of the pie plate, layer your vegeatbles in the following order; squash, potato, tomato, onion and a sprinkle of sweet corn. Continue until the pie plate is filled.

I then gently tucked the basil in between a few of the layers, however, I think next time I would double the basil and include a piece in between each layer.

Pour the vegetable stock over the vegetable layer, being careful not to overflow pie plate. You might not need the entire amount, just enough to come about one-half of the way up the veggie layer.

Gratins typically have breadcrumbs or cheese on the top, but since I had no bread and opted not to use cheese, I thought throwing some chickpeas on top sounded like my best bet. And it was a great idea. So, top your gratin with the chickpeas (or breadcrumbs/cheese) and place into the oven for about one hour.

When the vegetables are fork tender and the top is beginning to brown, turn on the broiler and allow the top and chickpeas to crisp up a bit (about 3-5 minutes).

IMG_7731

The roasted chickpeas - my favorite part and a fabulous addition. The rest of the dish was really delicious as well. It was a simple dish with mellow flavors. Like I said above, I think I would up the basil next time around. Another great idea would be to toss the vegetables in a bit of olive oil flavored with an herb of your choice (basil, thyme, rosemary...) and let the vegetables marinate for a few hours before baking.

IMG_7738

Ultimately, this was a great dish that highlighted a vegetable the I grew (did I tell you that yet?!) and some awesome seasonal produce that was grown right here in town.

2 comments:

  1. Yumm, I'm glad it turned out well. I am a lover of basil, so I definitely wouldn't have any problem with adding more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so delicious, I have everything and may make this as part of tonight's dinner. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete