Thursday, July 14, 2011

will bike for tacos

Last night, our local bike club met up for their annual "taco ride." I've never biked with this group before, but Nic has and invited me to tag along.

After struggling with the decision on whether I should bike or run, I gave myself a good shake and told myself it was okay not to run and biking was just as good of a workout.

So, at 5:45 we met up with one other biker (the rest of the group had left much earlier) and made our way to Hills, Iowa.

Meet Kierstan, the slowpoke of the group.

IMG_8754

Meet Nic's new old bike. He picked this up at a bike auction a few weeks ago and has been working on it to bring it back to biking life. I think it looks pretty spiffy.

IMG_8755

IMG_8758

Really, I was the slowpoke. Even though I am in great running shape, biking is a whole other beast. And as much as I love biking, when we passed a runner along the way, I really wanted to trade places with him.

I suppose the bike makes a little bit of a difference, right? I was not on a road bike and like to think that that slowed me down a bit.

IMG_8759

The ride was absolutely gorgeous and I plan on running part of the route someday soon.

IMG_8760

IMG_8761

Hey Maddie - look! An Iowa State barn in the heart of Hawkeye country!

IMG_8763

I love all of the old one room school houses that you find in our area.

IMG_8764

IMG_8765

IMG_8766

IMG_8767

A scene of the beautiful farm country we biked through - after biking a roller coaster of hills for about 5-ish miles.

We made it to Hills in about 2 hours, covering about 28 miles total. Now, I was under the impression that this biking group generally rides with the wind on their rides, stops to eat (usually pancakes) and then takes a bus back to town.

Yesterday, this was not the case. Seriously, we were biking into the wind the.entire.time.

However I wasn't complaining as there was an ice cold Dos Equis and some authentic Mexican cuisine waiting for me at the end of the 28 miles.

And...a big pink bus waiting to take me back home.

IMG_8768

I am looking forward to doing a few more rides with this group - it was a great way to spend a Wednesday evening. Way better than sitting in front of the computer reading blogs (no offense!) or watching mind numbing TV.

IMG_8771

Nic and I are actually going to do another ride on Saturday, the first annual Corridor Craft Ride. It's basically a 30-mile bike ride with various stops along the way at local bars that offer deals on their craft beer. Win.

7 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures! (maybe thats why you were the slowpoke in the group?) We have no scenery like that around here.. Heck, we don't have scenery at all really.. some palm trees (which I love) but when you've seen one, you've seem 'em all! The bike group sounds cool! I wish I had a bike so I could do something fun like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Panasonic bike! My husband was given a Panasonic mountain bike for free and we always laugh at it being a Panasonic because usually we think of electronics when we hear that name.

    It's definitely harder to ride a mountain bike as fast as a road bike so don't feel too bad! Good for you to get out there and do it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must know something. In your comments there is a space for people to reply. You seem to have blogger's standard system. How did you do this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lily Fluffbottom I just searched google and found some website that had some HTML code to add the "reply" button. Not sure where I found it, but will look and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is the perfect way to spend an evening too! I wish I could get my husband out on his bike. Sigh :)

    Are you bandit-ing (shhh) any of Ragbrai? We were thinking about doing the day that starts in Grinnell. I am no longer sure if we can (one of our group is injured and the other got a job) but maybe it would be more incentive if you would be there.

    Love Nic's new old bike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, also to Fluffbottom - you can install intensedebate on blogger blogs too! (to be able to reply)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be down with biking if I could use a Vespa. :)

    Great ride, even with the wind!

    ReplyDelete