Thursday, September 15, 2011

farmers market finds

I am alive.

Just in case you were worried.

Life has been busy. And although things are not slowing down all that much, I have been able to take a few moments here and there to breathe.

Today was a busy day that began at 4:20AM an included time on the road, Rotary, and an afternoon spent working at my favorite coffee shop, Dodici's Shop, and attending my favorite town activity, the farmers market.

I practically needed a trailer to haul home all of the produce I picked up today!

Check it out.

IMG_9765

All of this for around $40. Not to shabby!

Oh wait, did you just call me crazy? You bet. But I will be a single woman this weekend and I plan to spend my time at the Iowa City's Farmers Market and then home, in the kitchen, getting ready to hunker down for winter.


IMG_9768
Clockwise from upper left: Iowa paw paw, butternut squash, acorn squash, hungarian wax peppers

IMG_9769
Green and purple beans

IMG_9771
Zucchini, sweet potato, spaghetti squash

IMG_9772
Three third place ribbons for my peach-pineapple recipe I entered into Washington's annual salsa contest two weeks ago!! Third place in each of the following categories - 1st choice, 2nd choice, most votes.

IMG_9773
These items were not picked up at the farmers market, but are equally as awesome and local - roma tomatoes from my favorite farmer Kevin, and pink banana squash from Kathy's Pumpkin Patch. Pumpkin puree and pumpkin butter are on my list of items to make this weekend!

IMG_9775
Gala and Jonathan apples from Apple Tree Orchard and Farm in Lockridge, IA

IMG_9774
Hmmm....with all of this produce, I am thinking I might want to dig a root cellar out back this weekend. Anyone want to help a girl out?

Back with more soon, I promise.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Kier, Pat and I are making spaghetti sauce this weekend up in Moose Lake...want to join us? The veggies look awesome - Roger and I are off to the Farmers Market in Minneapolis tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those veggies look so good! I hope you have time to post what you make with them, I'm sure it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you're blogging again :)

    ReplyDelete