Friday, September 16, 2011

ode to mark bittman

I have a slight food crush on Mark Bittman. Or crush on Mark Bittman because of his food??

It all started with the beautiful How to Cook Everything Vegetarian cookbook of his that I picked up a while back. Honestly, at the time, I had no idea who he was. I was drawn to the book because A) I was looking for a vegetarian cookbook, B) it was green, and C) I saw that it won an award, and naturally, any book that has won an award is worth shelling out some cash for, no?

My crush for him deepened when my mom handed me an autographed copy of Bittman's The Food Matters Cookbook that she picked up at a food conference in Minnesota. They totally connected and talked about marathons (hey Mark, in case you happen to stumble across this little blog of mine, do you remember my mom? You guys chatted about the Stockholm Marathon...).

Now, as most people know, when I cook I tend to do most of it intuitively. I have a craving or an idea and just start throwing things together. Sometimes I dive into cookbooks for some inspiration, but often feel constrained and don't want to follow the rules of the recipes.

Lately though, my nose has been buried deep in the pages of Bittman's books and I find myself reading recipes out loud to Nic, totally engrossed in how amazing and interesting the combinations seems, oblivious to Nic's lack of enthusiasm.

K: Nic! Listen to this...ohmigod, doesn't that just sound incredibly delicious? My mouth is watering. I need to make this now.


N: Sounds good.


K: Ugh, you don't even care.


N: Stop talking and just cook for me woman.


(Okay okay, that last line I threw in there for dramatic affect.)


I would absolutely recommend both of these cookbooks to anyone. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian clearly is a vegetarian cookbook (duh.), however, Bittman's Food Matters cookbook offers a variety of recipes (including meat dishes), as well as suggestions as to how to make them vegetarian/vegan.

Here are just a few of the recipes I have made in the past few weeks:

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian

  1. Grits Gratin with Arugula and Garlic, pg. 550
    Simple, beautiful and bursting with flavor. I added freshly picked cherry tomatoes that offered a pop of sweetness with every bite, and omitted the cheese. Totally worthy of being on a menu at a fine dining establishment. 
  2. Okra Stew with Tomatoes, pg. 324
    Okra is a vegetable the Nic is scared of. I bought it a couple of times at our farmers market last year and made okra "fries." Nic wasn't a fan. So I am sure he was quite leery when I told him I was making okra stew for dinner last night. Surprisingly after a few bits, he exclaimed that is was really good. News flash - Nic never says, "really good" when I ask him how he likes something. His usual response is, "it's good," with a slight head nod. He then proceeded to state that it was very flavorful. I agree. Another meal that was thrown together relatively quickly (with mostly local produce to boot!) and was a great huge bowl of comfort on a chilly fall-like night.
  3. Beer Glazed Black Beans, pg. 585
    We lived off of these for at least two weeks a few months back.
  4. Butternut Squash with Coconut Milk and Curry, pg. 365
    I made quite a few alterations to this recipe, but it was a great base with an awesome curry!
  5. Fresh Spring Vegetable Burger, pg. 664

What I plan to make (just to name a few...):
  1. Chickpea Soup with Saffron and Almonds, pg. 117-118
  2. Brussel Sprouts in Coconut Milk, pg. 274
  3. Braised Tofu and Peas in Coconut Milk, pg. 648
  4. Marinated Garden Vegetables, pg. 67-68
  5. Lentils and Potatoes with Curry, pg. 600 - I think I will make this for dinner tonight!
  6. Eggplant Gnocchi, pg. 487
The Food Matters 
  1. Banana Nut Muffins, pg. 533
    Even with my eight changes to the recipe, these were awesome. Not too sweet, vegan, YUM.
  2. Whole Wheat Bread with Zucchini, pg. 541
    A yeast bread, I added honey and this has been our go-to bread for a few weeks now. I plan on making the banana and pumpkin variations this weekend.
  3. Noodles with Spicy Vegetable Stir-Fry, pg. 206
    Like Big Bowl's "Cold Cucumber Noodles" - only better.
  4. Wheat Berries with Berries, pg. 279
    A breakfast that is uber elegant (and uber easy). I made this for the first time when my mom and grandparents were visiting and everyone raved. Nice job Mark Bittman, nice job.
  5. Brownie Cake, pg. 557-558
    A cake made with dates. Don't scoff. Just make it and thank me later. This brownie cakes gets ultra fudgey when stored in the fridge - no one would even know that they are sort of healthy for you.
  6. Easiest Dal, pg. 360-361
    Nic actually made this the other night. While it might not be a pretty dish, it was a pretty tasty dish.
  7. Beans Rancheros, pg. 375
    Beans and eggs. A great breakfast or dinner.
  8. Savory Tomato Crisp, pg. 423
    A tomato crisp, you say?! Yes! Crisps are not just for dessert any more. I brought this dish to a friend's house and of course I got some weird looks at first, but everyone liked it! One person insisted on bringing a helping to his mom!
 What I plan to make (just to name a few...):

  1. Walnut Biscotti, pg. 553-554
  2. Bread and Nut Mayonnaise, pg. 189
    Okay, I was intrigued by this recipe and it is one of the ones I read out loud to Nic. A mixture of bread, oil, nuts, garlic and lemon juice - this mayo "is based on skrodilia, the classic Greek sauce that tastes great with almost anything." Sign me up!
  3. Coconut and Brown Rice Pudding, pg. 572
    I knew even before I saw this recipe that I was going to be experimenting with rice pudding this weekend. This recipe will serve as a great base.
  4. Beans 'n Greens Burritos, pg. 509-510
    It is just such a catchy name that whenever I browse the index of the cookbook, my eyes always land on it.
  5. Hippie Rice, pg. 290-291
    Same as above, the name totally draws me in.
  6. Bow Ties with Arugula, Olives, Bulgur, and Fresh Tomato Wedges, pg. 226-227
Honestly, if you are in the market for a quality, all around great cookbook, I would highly recommend both of these!

Mark Bittman has no idea who I am and did not offer me anything to write this post.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to pretend those page numbers are for my personal reference...now if I could just get my own kitchen I could start to cook some of these things...

    my friend diego does want me to teach him how to bake a cake...think I should show up with dates?!

    ReplyDelete