Sunday, September 18, 2011

oatmeal apple cider pancakes {vegan}

IMG_9814

There is nothing better than digging into a stack of hearty pancakes on a cold, dreary, {nearly} fall morning. And after hitting snooze a few dozen times (thus postponing my early morning run), that is exactly what I did.

After cleaning up some of the mess that was left behind after 9 solid hours in the kitchen yesterday.

These pancakes were very good. Like, hey - if you are planning on running 16 miles at some point today, go ahead and eat the.entire.batch.

Self control I have not.

These were especially tasty topped with a smear of freshly homemade pumpkin butter and a drizzle of syrup.

IMG_9818

Oatmeal Apple Cider Pancakes
adapted from Mark Bittman's "Oatmeal Griddle Cakes", Food Matters, pg. 284


IMG_9819
If you are looking for a light and fluffy pancake, these are not for you. If you are looking more for a stick-to-your-ribs type of short stack to warm up with on a chilly fall morning, these are for you. Serve with a mug of steamy hot apple cider and this is basically Fall on a plate!

In the mix:

  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • pinch salt
  • 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water)
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • 1 cup cooked oatmeal (I used scottish oats, old fashioned oats would work as well)


To prepare:
Heat a griddle to 350*

In a small bowl, make your flax egg. Stir together ground flax and warm water. Set aside.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. 

Stir together the flax egg with the apple cider and vanilla. Gently mix in oatmeal. Add oatmeal mixture to flour and stir until just combined.

Test the griddle, it is ready when a few drops of water dance across its surface. Lightly grease with coconut  (or other) oil.

Pour batter onto the griddle. Cook until bubbles form on the top (about 2-3 minutes) and then flip and cook a few minutes more.

IMG_9879

Serve topped with pumpkin butter (or apple butter) and warm syrup. 

This batch made 6 pancakes, which I promptly gobbled up, all the while reminding myself that I was going to run them off later.

IMG_9815

I love this time of year mostly because I can walk into any grocery store and a huge display of apple cider is glowing, calling my name, begging me to take home a gallon. I was excited to see this local brand at New Pioneer yesterday. It is good, as you can see. I've already polished off about half of this container myself!

IMG_9822

I suppose I should knock out this 16 mile run before I finish up my weekend cooking marathon!

Speaking of marathons...since when is October 2nd only two (TWO!) weeks away? 14 days until I attempt to qualify for Boston at the Twin Cities Marathon. I am shaking in my boots running shoes!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Your 16 totally constitutes eating these. Have some oreos too.

    My friend Bobbi (http://zeroto26point2.blogspot.com/) ran Grandma's and is doing Twin Cities too! Too funny! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete