Thursday, October 20, 2011

piles 'o green

Unfortunately, I am not referring to piles 'o green cash.

If I were, I would be blogging from some warm beach location, and not in Iowa where it is supposed to dip below 30* tonight.

I knew yesterday that it was supposed to freeze tonight. And as it was the last Farmers Market, I knew I had to spend some time in the garden saving a few green tomatoes that were still clinging to the vine.

Or so I thought.

I ended up with hoards of green tomatoes.

Like thousands of them.



So my question is...what do I do with them?

Clearly I cannot fry them all.

Ideas?

7 comments:

  1. Can some of them, so that they will keep for awhile. You can also make some salsa verde! Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will eventually turn red. I have mine spread out all over my kitchen table and on a guest bed at my parents house (I picked four 5-gallon buckets of green tomatoes a couple weeks ago). I've been dealing with them as they ripen. Most I froze, the last batch I turned into tomato jam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup, salsa and fried green tomatoes! and they will ripen - lay out on newspaper in a sunny spot and enjoy as they ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We picked ours a few weeks ago and I was just noticing that I have a huge bowl of ripe, red tomatoes to deal with now! Actually just got online to find a sauce recipe :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could always make a green tomato relish or chutney. We did that a few years ago and it was delicious. I wish I could find the recipe again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Green salsa - with pineapple, poblanos, jalps, and those beauties. They will be sour enough to make it delicious!

    Also, I agree with above commenter - I picked mine green after a windstorm tore them off the vine, stuck them in a paper bag, and prayed. I had some nice red ones in about a week. They aren't the right texture for eating out of hand, but make good sauces.

    When in doubt, make ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know they say your plate should be a rainbow of colors, but I don't think you can go wrong with the color green.

    I had a fried green tomato for the very first time a coupole weeks ago. Heaven. Of course it was double battered and deep fried, as is the southern way. I'm sure you'll come up with something much better!

    We've had luck ripening ours on the windowsill too.

    ReplyDelete