Saturday, January 7, 2012

marathon training

Already a week into the New Year - hard to believe, eh?

It's high time that I start cranking out some serious miles in my 2012 attempt to qualify for Boston. With a busy schedule that includes a full time job, a part time job, teaching classes at the Y, and taking a class for the first time in 5+ years - marathon training must be super efficient.

I have been looking at the FIRST method of training, and its three runs a week + two days of cross training really appeal to me.

Basically it entails one speed session, one tempo run, and one long run each week, with an added two sessions of cross training.

Because of the few runs each week, the paces are pretty quick to ensure you are working your tail off.

With my schedule of teaching classes at the Y (which will cover my cross training sessions), I think my weekly workouts will look something like this:

Picture 1

A little crazy, yes. Doable - I certainly hope so since I've committed to teaching classes through June. One of the classes (Women's Lift) I don't actually lift besides showing the participants proper form, etc.

My workouts this week looked like this:

Picture 2

I am going to have one hot strong little runner's body by June (that's my hope at least!).

I've seen FIRST plans that are 16-18 weeks in length, which would put me at running my first BQ attempt the first or second weekend of May.

I've been looking at the Wisconsin Marathon (May 5) and Lake Woebegone Marathon (May 12)  and both of these appeal to me because of their flat courses, but I am also being corerced to run the Cinncinati Flying Pig (May 6) marathon with some truely amazing runners from town. This is a hillier route, but a larger race and I would have my own pacer making sure I don't slack off during the race.

Decisions decisions.

One marathon is set in stone though, and I have been looking forward to it for a while. I ran my first marathon way back in 2009 with Ike and Maddie. Well, three years later, we are all planning on running together again (or at least the same race)...



That's right. My first international marathon.

My original plan was to try to BQ in Stockholm, but with the travel, time change, jet lag, etc, I don't want to put all of my BQ eggs in one basket, hence trying to pick a marathon the previous month.

However, if I can BQ in Stockholm, that would be pretty sweet.

Off to enjoy some unseasonably warm temps with a 10 mile run.

Let the marathon training begin!

6 comments:

  1. Ooohh, that's exciting. When is the Stockholm Marathon? Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the spiffy new shirt you have! ;) I also love the training plan that only requires 3 runs a week. Sure, they are fast, hard runs but you don't have any junk miles laying around - something I should really look into.

    Good luck picking a marathon...and I'm excited to hear about your super fast training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are going to be crazy busy! I think hillier races are better because you can pick up any lost speed on the downhills and I find my legs don't get that dead feeling like I get on long flat races. So, Flying Pig for the win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are running Stockholm! Cool!

    And wtg on fitting all of that in with your busy schedule! I have run the WI half the last three years (and will do it this year again). I have heard the full course is quiet, and that you run on blacktop a bit... so if you do not need crowds, it could be good for you! There are a few small rolling hills in the 6-8 miles though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this mean you're not doing the Fargo marathon? Cause that one is the best and FLATTEST that you will ever find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, that is a hectic workout schedule! If anyone can do it, you can! Good Luck Girl!! I can feel a BQ coming for you!

    ReplyDelete