Sunday, February 26, 2012

creamy broccoli asparagus soup

IMG_3336

Nothing is better on a cold winter day than piping hot bowl of soup to help warm you up.

Too bad we haven't had too many cold winter days that just scream make soup.

But I make it anyway.

And enjoy it just as much.

This soup came wasn't inspired by a cold, or even mild day at all.

A few asparagus stems were hiding out in the back of the fridge, almost forgotten.

The broccoli was a little limp.

And there was a half avocado sitting next to an open can of coconut milk from a previous meal starting at me every time I open the fridge.

If that doesn't scream appetizing, I don't know what does.

But it was.

Amazing in fact.

So deliciously amazing that we made it two days in a row.

And now the fridge is stocked with happy asparagus, broccoli & firm avocados and the pantry is stocked with coconut milk.

Creamy Broccoli Asparagus Soup
I've never had cream of broccoli soup from a can, or cream of asparagus (do they even make it? A quick Google search tells me yes), but I imagine this soup to be a far superior version, one that will have you throwing those cans out the window. 

IMG_3339

Serves two.

In the mix::

  • 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 cup chopped asparagus
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 cup coconut milk (full fat)

To prepare::

Heat a few tablespoons of water in a medium pot, and add onion. Water saute until soft. Add chopped asparagus and broccoli and saute until they turn bright green and begin to soften (add more water as necessary to prevent browning - a tablespoon at a time is a good idea as you don't want much water to be left in the pan when the asparagus and broccoli are ready).

Remove veggies from heat and spoon into a blender. Add the avocado and coconut milk. Place a towel over the top of the blender, instead of the cover, (to allow steam to escape and prevent a huge mess!) and blend until smooth.

Return soup back to the pot and reheat, adding salt to taste.

Serve with a thick slice of bread, so you can make sure to clean every last bite from your bowl.

IMG_3340

7 comments:

  1. this looks delish, def going to make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. could you incorporate cheese into this somehow??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you could incorporate cheese, but I would suggest trying it without first!

      Delete
  3. I loved this. I added the whole avocado though to make in a bit more thicker. Had it with a slice of bread as well :p Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so simple and beautiful! I am definitely going to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the family I nanny for has all these ingredients in their fridge and asked me to "do something" about them... hahaha I'm so glad I found this recipe as it's pretty close to what I would have done on my own, but with some better advice. I am also happy to know it tastes good as I have so far only made food they liked (or so they say... ha!)
    Thanks for this! So excited to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found the recipe! Hope you all like it!

      Delete