Monday, February 27, 2012

on running {or lack there of}

I feel like I say this in every post, but life has been insanely crazy these past few months. Now generally I am a pretty good juggler of tasks and usually find/make the time to "choose me", which means I make time for running.

But because work has been crazy (with lots of fun and exciting projects that I am really looking forward to working on), and I have been spending more time at the YMCA making other people workout, my running has taken a back seat (more like it is stuffed in the very back, deepest part of the trunk) to everything else. Clearly, I had some unrealistic expectations at the beginning of the year.

The thing is, I really need to re-prioritize and make time for running. Especially since I have the Stockholm Marathon coming up on June 2nd, and would really like to run another one in May.

So the question is - do you think I can train for a marathon in 9 weeks? I don't just want to run to finish it, I want to run it. You know, and maybe BQ.

And it is not that I haven't been running lately, I just haven't been running as much as I would like. Typically I've been getting in 3 solid-ish runs per week, intermixed with anywhere from 3-5 sessions of weights/cross-training.

Advice is welcome and if you want to be my coach, that is even better. Clearly I need someone to be accountable to...

7 comments:

  1. Yeeeah. It sounds like one of those "could you try? sure. is it advisable? eh, probably not" things. It doesn't give you any room for error, injury, recovery, or building up slowly. I am attempting a BQ in 3 weeks. But I set out 15 weeks ago training for a BQ from day one. I've used the last 9 weeks alone to practice my mental skills (positive self-talk, pushing myself to go faster at the end of a few long runs, using mantras, pushing through difficult training sessions, building my confidence, etc). Honestly, the confidence is going to be a huge thing this time around. I didn't have that at my last BQ attempt. You can't rush confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Karen. You could do it, but BQing might stress your system out even more.

    I know a good online coach based here in Chicago if you want a recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that yes - you can really run a marathon in 9 weeks, but I'm not so sure on a BQ. That being said I don't know squat about BQ'ing! For all we know race day will be freaking amazing and everything will go BQ perfect. I say go for it, but stay safe...

    I went from fairly low miles {less than 10 per week} to an amazing, faster than expected long run pace 15 mile run in just 6 weeks...so if you have a solid base I think covering the distance in a fairly respectable time is do-able. And when I say respectable, I mean respectable for you...not slow me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you give up now - you are trained as much as you ever will. start the taper now and sit back and eat potato chips until june... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - definitely do able! With your running background & current activity I think 9 weeks is actually a good thing. These super long "in training" for 14 - 16+ week schedules can even be a recipe for burnout. Get quality workouts in for 6 weeks give or take & taper for a May marathon.

    Of course I'm no expert, but it sounds good to me. :-) BTW, my vote is Lake Wobegon Trail. I still have this thought in the deep, dark corners of brain that I want to run it this year. The logistics don't really work for it though. I definitely want to do it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add I'm assuming you're hitting good base mileage already. Obviously I don't think 9 weeks is enough time to go from barely running to marathon. You know yourself & your body though. If you start training & realize a strong May marathon just isn't going to happen I think you'll know. GL!

      Delete
  6. 9 weeks is really 7 once you take out the taper period and 7 weeks of hard speed work probably won't cut it for a BQ. You could run it for sure, but running for speed might not be the best plan...but what do I know? Maybe your body would love a compressed training plan and blow your time out of the water. I've heard of stranger things. :)

    ReplyDelete