Wednesday, November 28, 2012

vegan banana split cupcakes

One of my favorite little guys turned one the other week.

And to mark his 365 days of life in Iowa, I made him some banana split cupcakes.

His choice, of course.

IMG_0764


IMG_0741

I followed the recipe to a "t" from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, with a few modifications {of course}.

I subbed out the all purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour, because I like sort of healthy cupcakes.
I used almond milk instead of rice.
And I made up my own pineapple preserves by boiling 1/2 chopped pineapple with 1/4 cup orange juice until the pineapple was soft, and then pureed it with 1/2 T chia seeds. Much better than store bought stuff {plus, my HyVee didn't carry pineapple preserves}.

IMG_0742

IMG_0743

I ended up making two batches of the cupcakes because the first batch sank so badly.

The second batch wasn't too much better.

But nothing that a little extra icing couldn't take care of.

Plus, that just meant that I was able to make special cupcake deliveries to a few friends.

IMG_0747

IMG_0748

They didn't complain.

IMG_0753

IMG_0760

And I am pretty sure the birthday boy approved of them too.

IMG_7300IMG_7304

IMG_7305
That Kierstan is my favorite person ever.

IMG_7309IMG_7317
Hurry up, I want some cupcakes.  Get your grubby hands away from my cake!

IMG_7328
OKay, now you can have a taste.

Happy Birthday Ray!

No comments:

Post a Comment