Tuesday, August 25, 2009

runners beware

I woke up unmotivated this morning. My hope was to wake up early and go for a nice long run in the early hours. Nope. It was not until I read Maddie's "You know you need a shower when" post, that I decided it was a beautiful morning and I should not pass up getting out for a run. Well of course, if Maddie ran 12, I had to go further and planned a nearly 15 mile route. One of the things I like about living in a small town is the ability to run out in the country. I don't know, there is just something about running on gravel roads...(it actually reminds me of our annual run at Mr. Gorham's house in high school - too bad there are no pancake eating contests at the end of my runs anymore! Nancy - we are still the champs!)

"Unexpected Visitors"
I had two unexpected visitors on my run today. The first showed up around mile 2 and was a short, broad shouldered, golden lab. The little guy stuck with me for about 3 miles. I actually had to change my route so I could run him back to his house. I am pretty sure he was planning on running the entire thing with me.

The second visitor actually showed up a bit before the lab, but I didn't think anything of it at that point. Around mile 2 of my run I stopped (I know I know - I am so out of shape!) to do a bit of stretching and a pickup pulled over to ask me if I was the one selling the house up the road. Our encounter was less than 15 seconds and he was on his way as was I. Down the road, I saw the truck again. I saw him parked at a house - but as I ran by, he backed out of the drive and passed me again. Creepy - but, still not too worried.

As I got to the point where I decided I should turn around to bring my lab friend home, THERE WAS THE TRUCK! Pulled over on the side of the road, car parked, but not turned off. OMG. I ran by, gave a quick nod, picked up my pace and pulled out my phone. {On my long runs I wear a water belt (trying not to use the term fanny pack - because it is totally not! Just don't know what to call it) and when I remember I throw my phone in one of its pockets - just in case.} Nic was planning on driving my route on the way home for lunch, and I am sure he was not expecting a call from me - "You HAVE to come and pick me up on 160th St. NOW." The truck then proceeded to turn around, but parked again a short second later. I was just about to call the cops, but decided to just quicken my pace a bit more.

The truck was now out of sight and the lab's house was just up the road. I knew Nic was close by so I stopped by the house to see if I could return my running buddy to his owners. After checking the house and one of the barns, I didn't see anyone and continued on my way. Then up ahead - a pickup...slowing down. I knew it wasn't the same one, but did I scare ya?! I pointed to the dog suggesting "this yours?" It was. Farewell running buddy, it was fun! Then a short 10 seconds later, my knight in shiny armor...I mean a dusty golf, appeared on the horizon.

Well, my route was 10 miles shorter than expected but I learned a valuable lesson:
Running is dangerous and you just shouldn't do it.


3 comments:

  1. Oh you of ultimate wisdom, thank you for bestowing this tidbit upon us mortals.

    JK - glad you're alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAAH that is hilarious and scary!!

    oh and btw you are right in saying you and nancy are champions...champions of fake eating pancakes...if we are talking about who can actually eat the most pancakes and not spit them into napkins, then I would be the clear winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and get ready for 18 on Saturday...

    ReplyDelete