Sunday, September 12, 2010

granola bar experiment - *updated to add...

Ever since I booked our flights to France & Spain, I have been set on coming up with a recipe for tasty, satisfying granola bars that I could stuff into our carry-ons and have on hand while we walk the streets of Paris.  While I know we are going to indulge in delicious French foods, we are also on a budget and can't just stop at every cafe we see to grab an espresso and nutella filled crepe.  YUM.

I've made granola bars before, but they always seem to turn into granola as I try to cut them into bars.  It is usually delicious, however, a bar would be much more portable.

I also want a bar that doesn't have a ton of sugar, oil, or any butter.

So, last night I did a few experiments and came out with the following:

IMG_0460

Experiment #1 - Cranberry Almond Granola Bars

IMG_0475

I used::
1 cup oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup cranberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 T ground flax
1/2 cup honey
3 T coconut oil
1 t vanilla

In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the honey and coconut oil. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Stir honey mixture into oats and press into a greased 8x8" glass baking dish.

Bake at 300* for 30 minutes.  Cool and cut into bars.

IMG_0480

Experiment #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Granola Bars

IMG_0471

I used::
1.5 cups oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup raisins (if you have huge raisins like I did, chop them up)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1.5 t cinnamon
3 T ground flax
dash salt
1/8 cup REAL maple syrup
2 T brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
3 T coconut oil
1 t vanilla

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the syrup, brown sugar, honey and coconut oil. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Stir honey/syrup mixture into the oats and press into a greased 7.5x11" glass baking dish.

Bake at 300* for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.

IMG_0463

So...they look pretty good, right?  But how did they taste??

Cranberry Almond - the honey really shines through in these guys, which Nic and I both like.  Overall taste is great, but they were a little on the thin side.  Fell apart while cutting.

Cinnamon Raisin - my favorite of the two. LOVED the flavor.  However, I would probably cut down on the honey next time and use more maple syrup (I didn't have much on hand yesterday.)  These guys were the perfect thickness, would not change anything about that. Fell apart while cutting.

UPDATED - OK, the Cinnamon Raisin bars right out of the fridge are AH.MAZ.ING! I think you should make them today and tell me what you think.

NOW, I need your advice!  How do I make a granola bar does not fall apart?? 

Please critique my recipes, I really want to come up with something portable, delicious and filling.  Should I cut down on the oil or up it? Am I using too much sweetener? Or are the coconut flakes getting in the way and not allowing everything to bind properly?  Should I switch to shredded?  Should I add anything?

3 comments:

  1. They look tasty! I found this one and im waiting to try till my nut butter energy bars are gone. But it sounds like what your looking for. low sugar and oil. I find if i let them cool for a long time before i cut them it helps and if there not to thick. What kind of coconut do you buy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy unsweetened coconut flakes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i just remembered i forgot to forward the recipe i found that you might like. silly me!
    http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/?p=10397

    ReplyDelete