Monday, September 6, 2010

pizza stuffed mushrooms

IMG_0373

After seeing the recipe for Oh She Glows' Easy Stuffed Portabella Pizzas the other day, I knew I had to make a version of them for Nic and I.

Total win!  These guys came together in about 5 minutes and after a short time in the oven, we were devouring this unique, utterly tasty twist on pizza.  We served them up with a side of simple sweet potato fries.

IMG_0375

This meal was so quick and satisfying {and healthy!!}, I am sure it will become a regular in our meal rotation.

You'll need:
2 Portabellas, stems removed, wiped clean with a damp paper towel
1/4 red pepper, diced
1/4 green pepper, diced
4 T diced yellow onion
2 T diced green olives
Pizza sauce*
Cheddar cheese
Pepperjack cheese

Fill the center of the mushroom with a few tablespoons of pizza sauce, top with grated cheddar and pepperjack cheeses.  Top with peppers, onions and green olives, and sprinkle with dried basil.

Set oven to a low-broil and cook on the middle rack for about 15 minutes.

*We had some jarred pasta sauce to use up, so before I used it, of course I had to doctor it up!  I placed about 1/4 cup a the sauce in a bowl, added in a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes and a teaspoon or two of fennel seeds.  Nuked it for 90 seconds to blend the flavors.

Fennel seeds = amazing!  Do you cook with them ever??

I think next time I would cook these in a 400 degree oven for a while and finish up with a quick broil under high heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment