Monday, February 28, 2011

diagnosis

I saw a physical therapist today.

We have to amputate my right knee.

Crap.

Haha - that would not be fun.

Diagnosis #1 - I run funny.

Diagnosis #2 - My right leg is WEAK.

Prescription #1 - Get back to the basics and re-learn how to run.

Prescription #2 - Three itsy bitsy workouts to strengthen my right leg.

Whoop!  I can deal with that news!

First things first - I hate going to the doctor for pain that causes you to stop in your tracks most of the time, but suddenly corrects itself once you walk through the doctor's door! I described my pain, when it began, where it hurt and then when he did he various tests...nothing hurt!

He probably thought I was faking it.

He then proceeded to so a few strength tests on both legs and my right leg consistently did way worse than my left leg.  I made him redo a few tests and told him to use the same resistance for each leg - I couldn't believe how much weaker my right leg was!

I then hopped on the treadmill for all of one minute before he smirked and told me to get down. My right leg is all over the place while running. My knee angels in while my foot kicks out. Because that's how the cool kids run.

Put all of these things together and I have one pissed off IT band. He said this is pretty typical in awesome female runners who are training for way cool marathons.

Thankfully we can fix everything and part of fixing this is running a few miles each week and really focus on my form.

Perfect.

Clearly I won't be able to train as hard as I would like, but I am not down for the count.

I also have to mention that living in a small town has it perks - I only called this morning to schedule an appointment. My sister, who lives in Sweden, is on a waiting list three weeks long just to schedule an appointment with a PT!

Another perk - I know the PT through a variety of channels. Firstly, he is also a runner and appreciates my determination/enthusiasm for running and made it a point right away to ask what my race schedule was. He even reminded me of a 5K in April that I have to run (he beat me by a few seconds at the race last year)!

Secondly, we work together (kind of). The personal training that I am doing at the Y is with his patients that have "graduated" from physical therapy but still need a little motivation to keep up the workouts while out in the "real world."

So...three cheers for physical therapy!  I have three weeks to work on my issues and then will go back in for some more tests.

Three weeks and 1 minute from now I will be out catching up on all my missed mileage! :)

---------------

Cool news - I found out tonight while I was working out at the Y that there are at least six people from town that are running Fargo - how awesome is that?!  Considering how small our town is, and how far away Fargo is...it is very awesome.

12 comments:

  1. Hang in there Kier! Interesting that it's your right leg..same as my problem leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amputation would be a better story, but at least now you are just a goofy runner...goofy is good, did you know?!

    Are you a lefty or a righty? Just curious with your right leg being the weak on. I'd like to try out those tests...just out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty amazing when you find out one leg is stronger than the other. how the heck did it get that way? ! Makes you wonder how long it's been affecting your run. Glad you found out now, and can correct it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a test on my calves with the rehab guy at my gym the other day and my right calf is way weaker as well!!! He also told me my calves a a bit squishy for someone who claims to run....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love a diagnosis of "you run funny" :)

    Glad it's nothing serious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Runaroundaroo - I am a righty! I did say that I was surprised my right leg was weaker during the tests because I always just assume my right side is stronger...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much better for this to happen now than closer to the marathon. That's great you have a game plan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you can keep running a bit. I totally hear you on going to the doctor for things where the pain comes and goes. It is probably helpful that the doctor runs too because he "gets" why you would want to get to the bottom of it and not just write off running.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got in to the PT right away and it sounds like it's a problem that can be fixed pretty quick (no amputation required ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very workable diagnosis! Good luck with the PT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I know I'm not a doctor at all, but when I had this (or similar to it) after the SF half, I got a dorky knee strap, and that seemed to eliminate the knee pain. Yes, you still have to do the strengthening exercies and learn to not run like a ding dong (which I'm guilty of too, since I had the same thing) but it helps in the interim. :) FARGO!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your PT sounds awesome! And that is awesome news. It sounds like you are going to get the help you need. It's almost like all runners should go through that! Makes me wonder how funny I run!

    And so cool that so many people are doing Fargo!!!

    ReplyDelete