Sunday, February 27, 2011

vegan night

Tonight's dinner was my February installment of challenging myself in the kitchen and cooking something outside of my comfort zone/cooking something I've never made before.

The cuisine - vegan!

Oh my gah.

If I had any remaining sorrows about being sidelined due to my knee...I was able to completely and utterly drown them out while eating dinner tonight. Each dish prepared out shined the previous and the best was definitely saved for last.

I want vegan night to be every night!

{I made the mistake of expressing that statement out loud, and was quickly informed by the husband that that is on the divorce list*. Bummer.}

IMG_6039

The menu::


Lentil Walnut Loaf

IMG_6040

I followed Angela's recipe to a T. It was delicious! Nic and I both could have done without the raisins, however, that won't keep us from making this again. It did get two thumbs up from Nic and he said he would eat it again. I never ate meat loaf growing up (okay, maybe my dad made it once or twice, but it was never in the regular rotation), but made it a few times for Nic when we lived in the apartment. He said the texture was spot on, but could tell it wasn't actually meat loaf. I think it was the spices used as opposed to anything else and I would venture even your biggest meat eater might be fooled by this.

Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup

IMG_6038 copy

OMG amazing. By far the star of dinner - throw away your Mom's recipe and replace it with this, seriously. Okay, you can keep her recipe but just promise me you'll try this, okay?!

In the mix::

  • 4-5 roma tomatoes (1.11 pounds)
  • 1 dry pint grape tomatoes
  • 1 red bell pepper - cut into quarters
  • 1 large sweet onion - cut into quarters
  • 5 cloves garlic - peeled
  • 1/8 cup olive oil + 1/8 cup canola (you could use all olive oil...we were down to the very last of the jug)
  • 1 t sea salt
  • 1 3/4 cup low sodium organic veggie stock
  • 1 large bay leaf
  • pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup chopped basil
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • cashew cream - optional

Preheat oven to 450*

Wash and cut the roma tomatoes in half. Spread the roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes, garlic cloves, onion and bell pepper onto a baking tray. Drizzle with oils and season with sea salt. Roast for 20-30 minutes, or until caramelized.

IMG_5971

IMG_5972

Transfer the roasted veggies into a stock pot. {I roasted my veggies this morning and then put them in to the fridge until I was ready to finish the soup.} Add veggie stock, bay leaf and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes uncovered.

Remove the bay leaves and add the chopped basil. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

The soup really doesn't need heavy cream (as called for in the original recipe) as it is souper (ha!) silky and smooth as is. That being said, no one will complain if the soup is extra creamy! I topped each serving with a dollop of cashew cream and dug in. OMG.

Cashew Cream
Soak about 1/2 cup raw cashews in water and place in the fridge overnight. When ready to prepare the cream, dump the water our and rinse the cashews. Place in a food processor with about one tablespoon water and puree until smooth - adding additional water a bit at a time until a creamy consistency is achieved.

Detox Blonde Macaroon

IMG_6003

Heaven. I am in coconut heaven. I prepared this recipe following this one exactly, minus the vanilla bean and I only made half of a batch. I even made my own coconut butter (for a measly $2!)

There were all sorts of omg-ing while I savored devoured two of these after dinner. I could have eaten the entire pan, but told Nic not to let me eat anymore until tomorrow.

IMG_6005

Nic went to bed.

I promptly ate two more.

Coconut heaven.

Really, you should make these!  So easy and they will for sure impress anyone you share them with.

Dinner was truly a success - I am loving these monthly challenges and look forward to see what March brings!  Suggestions? We will be reuniting with the Dukes for March's meal - they we too cool for vegan night.

---------------

Oh and did you notice...we built a light box this weekend! I for sure need some more practice using it, but I think my first shots turned out okay, don't you?

Here are a few more shots I took:

IMG_5987

IMG_5985

Those balls you see up there - they are a variation of my chocolate peanut butter balls. Quite tasty...I might just have to share the recipe with you!







*We really don't have a divorce list, I swear! We joke whenever either of us says something way out of line that if that thing were to ever really happen, it would be grounds for divorce. All in good fun people...all in good fun. We have full intentions of making it to at least five years and then seeing where we want to go from there...  :)

7 comments:

  1. THe lightbox looks great - as does all your vegan cuisine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lightbox pics look great!

    And so does all of the vegan food! We have a mostly vegan household - but my husband is vegetarian and it's really easy for him to have cheese/etc. on things when I am eating vegan. I bet you could do something like that too if you wanted to try vegan food more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I think you put more effort in that meal than I do on a week's worth of meals combined. :) It all looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I've been reading Veg News over the weekend- doing so pretty much always inspires me to eat more vegan food, so this post is perfect for me:-). I'm so glad the macaroons can be made without the vanilla bean- I don't have any of those, but the cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures look fantastic Kier! I don't think I could get Tony to eat a single one of these, but they all look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That vegan dinner looks amazing! I could go vegan if I could eat like that every night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything you made looks phenomenal! And I had no idea cashew cream was so easy to whip up, either. I really want to try that!

    ReplyDelete