Thursday, June 30, 2011

4H 5K race recap

clover_color

Last Friday afternoon on my way home from Iowa City, I debated whether or not I should run the 3rd annual 4H 5K that was set to take place at 6:00PM that evening. I had a lot on my to-do list for Saturday's Relay For Life and had all but talked myself out of it.

But then, at approximately 5:27 (still in the car on my way home mind you) I thought to heck with it and decided to run. I ran home, threw on some running gear, grabbed my shoes, hustled out the door and headed to the fairgrounds.

I registered with just enough time to spare to tie my shoes, get in a mediocre stretch, and chat with a guy that is in my Wednesday night spin class.

The course was fun, although I was hesitant about it at first. We weaved through the fairgrounds and actually ran through 4 different barns before heading out on the highway for a quick out and back. Running through the barns was funny - the committee had recordings of different animals and were playing those. Pigs, cows, sheep...you get the picture.

I started out at the back of the pack - about 50 runners maybe? And quickly picked a few off. With 1.5 miles left, I noted two girls ahead of me and set out to catch them. It was fairly easy to catch one, and with a gradual hill looming, I was certain I could pick off the other.

Didn't happen. But I am 90% certain she is a college cross country/track athlete - so I wasn't too bummed.  Plus, yeah - pretty sure I just ran a marathon and running this 5K wasn't probably the best idea anyway.

Stats::
Total distance - 3.18 miles
Total time - 23:22.60
Average pace - 7:21
Mile 1 - 7:18
Mile 2 - 7:03
Mile 3 - 7:38 (hips.on.fire!)
spare change - 7:31
Third overall finisher
2nd female finisher
1st in age group

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the win! Great job just coming off a marathon!

    Interesting day and time for a race. I find night races always make it tricky to plan my eating. How fun that you were able to just to do it spur-of-the-moment like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Great job!
    Funny how spur of the moment that race was for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not too shabby for a spur of the moment race! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You HAVE to do these small races! Because you always place. Okay, you would have placed anyway - your times kicked ass. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete