Wednesday, June 29, 2011

these are the days

Today is going to be a good day.

The sun is shining. It's not too hot and there is a cool breeze rolling through the house.

I was up at 4:30AM ready to give BodyPump a try for the first time. (Loved it).

Home by 6:30 for breakfast.

Out for a three mile walk with the pup at 7:00.

And met with my boss for coffee at 9:00.

I hope the day continues on this path, and if all goes according to plan, I will end the day with my first night run/ride with the husband when I get home from a meeting at 8:00PM.

Yesterday was a different story. I was exhausted the entire day. Had to force myself to get the pup out for a walk. Getting projects done for work was a challenge and my eyelids would not stay open.

I knew getting out for a run would give me the boost of energy I was looking for, but I just couldn't bring myself to it. I finally forced myself to at least change into workout gear and crossed my fingers that I would find at least a little desire to run after reading a few chapters of "Born to Run."

Totally did the trick. I laced up my shoes right before 6:00PM and set out for what I hoped to be a quick three miler.

Heh.

Nine miles later, with a husband biking by my side, I returned home with 843,597 times more energy that I had when I'd left.

I haven't put together a training plan for the Twin Cities marathon yet, so the past few days I've just been heading out for runs and going for as long {or short} as I feel like it.

No restrictions.

No minimums.

No pace goal.

Nothing.

It has been lovely.  I did six miles on Tuesday (again, no energy before I left) and yesterday's nine easily could have been 10, 12, 13+ if I had left earlier.

Dinner was totally calling me home too. On Sunday I mixed up a batch of burgers that were inspired by a recipe I saw on Peas & Thank You as well as in the "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" cookbook by Mark Bittman.

Potato, White Bean, & Basil Burgers

IMG_7226

In the mix::

  • 1lb baby gold potatoes - cooked until tender
  • 4.5 ounces asparagus - diced and sauteed just a few minutes
  • 1/2 cup fresh peas - cooked
  • 15 oz cannellini beans
  • 1/2 cup basil - chopped

Throw everything in a bowl and mash together. Add salt (be generous) and pepper to taste. Shape into eight patties (small).

I made these on Sunday and threw them in the freezer.  I threw two frozen patties in the oven and baked at 350* for about 20 minutes. I served them between honey flax oatmeal thin buns (that I made into dinner rolls). I topped mine with a bit of tomato paste, spinach, roasted red peppers and a few raw onions.

The burgers were good, but the flavors got lost with everything else. Basically a glorified potato patty, I think these would be really great served up with some scrambled eggs for breakfast or on top of a spinach salad.

And then, as a reward for running nine miles, and because Nic had a serious craving for chocolate, I made a cookie of sorts. I experimented the previous night and came up with this single serve cookie, and was thankful for the opportunity to make it again.

Although, I am not sure what exactly to call it. To me it is a cross between a cookie, cake and a brownie. Whatever it is, it is really good. You should try it and tell me what you think.

Chocolate Peanut/Almond Butter Cookie Cake Brownie Thing

IMG_7240

In the mix::

  • 2 T peanut-almond butter (I made a batch of this the other week 50/50 peanuts/almonds, any nut butter will do)
  • 2 t cocoa powder
  • 1/4 t vanilla extract
  • 2 T oatmeal
  • 1 T almond milk
  • 2 t coconut butter
  • 2 t honey
  • 1/8 t baking soda
  • 1/8 t baking powder
  • small pinch salt

Mix everything together, shape into two balls and bake at 325* for 15-18 minutes.

Serves 2.

IMG_7235

Oh, and someone please tell me how I can take a photo of a chocolate cookie without it looking like a big pile-o-crap.

1 comment:

  1. I tried those potato-bean burgers last night, too. I realized too late that all of our basil had shriveled up (so maybe that was part of the problem), but I wasn't too impressed, either. Now those cookies? I'm excited because I have all the ingredients on hand AND they look absolutely delicious. I'm planning on trying those...and soon!

    ReplyDelete