Friday, July 8, 2011

farmers market finds - july 7

Thursday, due to a change in my work schedule, I was able to hit up our farmers market. I wasn't planning on picking anything up, but after walking the stalls a few times, I had my sights set on a few things.

IMG_7654

Apricots, yellow beans, and kohlrabi. All for $7.

#1 - What should I do with the apricots? I was thinking of trying to dry them...

IMG_7656
They are so little and cute, I had to buy them!

#2 - Kohlrabi - it has been years and years since I've had this. I had to ask the farmer how to eat it! :)

As I strolled through the square checking out all of the other stalls, I was trying to think of what I could make for dinner using up some of the goodies that I picked up.

Two Bean Salad with Kohlrabi & Basil

IMG_7661

In the mix::

  • 2 cups yellow beans - cut into 1 inch pieces {local!}
  • 2 cups green beans - cut into 1 inch pieces {local!}
  • 1 cup kohlrabi - pealed and cut into 1 inch pieces {local!}
  • 1/4 cup basil - chopped {from MY garden!}
  • 3 small cloves garlic - minced
  • 2T white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • three large basil leaves slices, for garnish

In a large pot, bring some water to a boil. While you are waiting for that to boil, prepare an ice bath. Quickly blanch the beans for 2-4 minutes (depending on their size) in the boiling water and promptly remove to ice bath to stop cooking.

Whisk together the minced garlic, chopped basil, vinegar and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Toss the beans, kohlrabi and dressing together in a large bowl. When ready to serve, top salad with additional basil. 

Enjoy right away, or let the flavors marinate in the fridge for a few hours or over night.

This was a great salad - very crisp and fresh. Perfection.

IMG_7666

Next time, I might try the combination with a lemon-basil vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment