Saturday, July 9, 2011

first brick

As of 9:00AM this morning, I have a new respect for triathletes.

You see, silly me - last night Nic and I decided that we would join our local running group this morning for a 20 mile bike ride, followed by a 6 mile run.

Can't be too hard, right?

I mean 20 miles on a bike? I can run 26.2 miles no problem. Easy peasy.

6 mile run? That is like a recovery run for me.

My first brick workout.

You know, it wasn't too bad, and really I expected the run to be hard after 20 glorious miles on the bike. I just didn't expect it to be as hard as it was. I mean, it took a good two miles of running to get my legs warmed up to running. And I took at least four walking breaks during that six miler.

You might just make a triathlete out of me, Dan - I just can't promise it will be any time soon.

I mean, I can't even imagine doing a swim + run or swim + bike workout. Heck, I can't even imagine a swim workout right now!

Someday though, someday.

IMG_7668

The bike - 20.9 miles
The run - 6.2ish miles
The bike - 2.92 (because I had to ride home, and might as well end at a nice even mileage.)
Total - 30.02 miles
Total time - 2:39:26

IMG_7671

So...does this mean I shouldn't run 10+ miles tomorrow morning? Seriously.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first brick!

    I do a lot of 'big' weekend workouts, and I bet you feel fine for your 10 miler tomorrow. Maybe take Monday off completely to recover, though? Normally my legs are fine to do it, but I end up super fatigued later in the week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! Brick workouts are TOUGH! ;) You rocked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be down with the triathlon idea if they took out that nasty swim part. And the biking part. :)

    Great job on that workout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for "admitting" it was hard!

    I am not a marathoner (I've done 3 half marathons), but I am a triathlete. Many of my marathoning friends will scoff at the idea of biking 30 miles and then running 4... It is HARD to make your legs (and mind) cooperate like that! :-)

    I have a tremendous amount of respect for marathoners and plan to complete my first next year as part of Ironman 2012. I can't imagine running 26.2 miles solo. We're all a little crazy, right?? :-)

    Ping me if you are looking to get into triathlon and want another perspective on training and such.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, bricks! My closet attempt was a 13 mile ride and 2 mile run and my legs felt so bizarre! They are fun though, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete