Monday, January 16, 2012

marathon training - week 2 review

I still haven't decided what Spring marathon I am going to run, but I continue to plug away at a somewhat organized training plan.

Here is what I accomplished during week number two:

2012 Marathon Training - Week 2
(click for a larger image)

Once I get a minute of spare time, I plan on typing up all of the workouts that I am doing for my Absolute Body Conditioning and Boot Camp classes. Typically I am able to do most of the workouts in those classes, so I would like to be able to reference them.

Who knows - maybe I'll even update my "workouts" page so others can give them a try.

So back to the marathon debate.

Since I haven't decided yet, maybe I should open it up to a vote.

Here are the three marathons I am looking at:

1) Wisconsin Marathon

Picture 4

Date: May 5th
Registration Fee: $72.99
Hours from Home: 5 hours
Why I like it: Fairly flat with a few rolling hills, smaller race, a lot of people seem to PR on the course, great views (course is along the lake), close to Milwaukee and Chicago
Why I hesitate: Out and back, along the lake - could be windy


Picture 5

Date: May 6th
Registration Fee: $90 if I register by 1/30, $105 by 4/20
Hours from Home: 8 hours
Why I like it: 4 runners from town are going, I would potentially have my own personal pacer
Why I hesitate: I've heard the hills are pretty, well - hilly

Picture 6

Date: May 12
Registration Fee: $45 by 3/31
Hours from Home: 6.5 hours
Why I like it: Pancake flat, on a trail similar to the Kewash Trail which I run on quite often, smaller race, very affordable, great reviews, and close to my Mom's (thus eliminating hotel expense)
Why I hesitate: Few spectators

Remember, I am trying to qualify for Boston early so I can, as I said to another runner the other day, just get the BQ out of the way (like it is that easy), and then run some fun runs later this summer.

I know I've asked before, but which would you choose? 

Truth be told, as much as I want to join the others for Cincinnati, I am really leaning towards the other two.

5 comments:

  1. The Pig is a really fun race, but definitely not a PR course. Last Spring I was looking at Wisconsin for a PR. I say run the cheesiest one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of those choices, I'd pick Wisconsin. Rolling hills are nice. Big hills are not. Running by water is one of my favorite things, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of the first one, plus the shirt will probably be hilarious. If it's windy on an out and back, at least the wind will help you at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have run the WI half the first three years and will be back this year. It's never been windy. The full course is a bit dull, but a lot of people like how quiet it is. I guess you do run on blacktop? The first half is great - I can tell you that much. Go for WI! Blogger meetup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd personally pick the WI marathon, but that's mostly because I'd have a couch to crash on and my own personal spectators. So, if I were you I'd probably go for the trail race by your mom's.

    I think a trail marathon would be awesome...but what kind of trail? Rooty single track or wider smooth trails? That could make a big difference...

    ReplyDelete